UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What The...woodhenge And Silvery Hill

I was just watching the History Channel Lost World's documentary on Pagans. And so they were talking about Stonehenge...next thing I found out from the guy...Oh yeah, just to the northeast is Woodhenge-literally the same basic design as stongehenge but made of huge pieces of wood/lumber. Supposedly:

Stonehenge- represents death to the pagans

Woodhenge- represents life to the pagans.

Another one nearby is Silvery Hill= 18,000,000 man hours to build. Built four and a half thousand years ago and took 700 men for 10 years to build. Just a big manmade hill of earth. An engineering feat actually.

Then there is Avery-largest stone circle in the world nearby.

Then also nearby is also the Santuary pagan site and also West Kennett's Long Barrel...all of them big also.

Here's the interesting thing, all the sites are very close to each other with Silvery hill in the center of Sanctuary, Long Barrel, and Avery. Supposedly Silvery hill is the place to signal for all the sites to start pagan rituals simultaniously. Silvery Hill also might actually had a chalk covering back then instead of grass.

Then there is Mavery Castle, not an actual castle but the largest hill fort in Britain= oppidum, which the natives were fighting over all the time until Rome conquered it thanks to the ballistas.

All these things are in Britain by the way.

Too much to explain...but damn...now I hear about these things!

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Interestingly enough Stonehenge wasn't originally concieved as a monument built out of stone. It was built in various stages across a period of a few hundred years. Originally it was only a circle mound with an earthwork enclosure built around 3000-2920 BC. The second phase consisted of timber logs which were placed in side the circle around 2900-2600 BC. Then followed the early stone stage where smaller stone monuments were added after 2550 BC. It was only around 2440 to 2100 BC that the massive stone lintels were added and Stonehenge started to look like it does today. Then from 2280 to 1930 BC some of the stones were repositioned, where they have remained in their places till modern times (except for some periods when they collapsed). It is odd to believe that the Minoan Civilisation began flourishing a short while after the completion of Stonehenge.

All these things are in Britain by the way.

Too much to explain...but damn...now I hear about these things!

There's allso the Thornborough Henges in Yorkshire.

Sea Henge

Avebury Stone circles

Vale of Mowbray Henges

Arbor Low

Ring of Brodgar (Orkney)

Castlerigg stone circle

Long meg and her daughters

Stones of Stennes (Orkney)

Are Henges unique to Britian?i cant find any info on European Henges/Circles.

Stonehenge- represents death to the pagans

Woodhenge- represents life to the pagans.

First they built Strawhenge but realized the building material needed to be improved after a wolf walked by, sneezed and blew it over.

LOL :D

• 1 month later...

Megalithic sites extend over a significant portion of western europe. There is a spectacular site in france with row upon row of stone columns.

Silvery Hill? You mean Silbury Hill surely? That monument is the same as an egyptian pyramid or a mayan temple to some degree. Its an artificial mountain. An expression of size and power.

Many christian sites are built on pagan ones. The new owners were keen to suggest that the area was under new management.

• 2 months later...
Silvery Hill? You mean Silbury Hill surely? That monument is the same as an egyptian pyramid or a mayan temple to some degree. Its an artificial mountain. An expression of size and power.

Probably a better analogy would be Cahokia than any sort of masonry or mud-brick artificial mountain (pyramids, ziggurats etc).

One thing I find most curious about Woodhenge is the tree, buried upside down in the center! What can this mean?

Edited by edgewaters

One thing I find most curious about Woodhenge is the tree, buried upside down in the center! What can this mean?

The world tree is a common enough symbol in mythology - the tree and its branches and roots as a symbol of the enfolding cosmos. Turning it upside down might mean an inversion of the natural progression of the cosmos, somehow related to sacred significance of the site?