UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Emperor Bios

spittle

Has anyone read any of these biographies concerning many of the more well known Emperors by Pat Southen, Barbara Levick and Alaric Watson (among others)

I am particularly interested in the Julio-Claudians as I intend to finish Caesar by Goldworthy then progress to Augustus, then Tiberius, then Caligula, then Claudius (I may read Claudius befiore Caligula as I have more sympathy for him) and then Nero.

Opinions welcome.

Has anyone read any of these biographies concerning many of the more well known Emperors by Pat Southen, Barbara Levick and Alaric Watson (among others)

I am particularly interested in the Julio-Claudians as I intend to finish Caesar by Goldworthy then progress to Augustus, then Tiberius, then Caligula, then Claudius (I may read Claudius befiore Caligula as I have more sympathy for him) and then Nero.

Opinions welcome.

I have only read the Levick, Spit, but I can recommend it. I am assuming you refer to Tiberius the Politician? Together with the Seager account (Tiberius by Robin Seager), they make a welcome - and balanced - addition to any Julio-Claudian bookshelf.

Having read the list of reviewed books I can only see Caligula.

Surely an Augustus biog must have been reviewed?

Its Tiberius (thanks Augusta, I'll get round to reading both your suggestions) and Claudius that interest me most. Caligula and Nero to a lesser extent - they are essential if I am to fully understand the Julio-Claudians BUT I find them more sordid and less intelligent than the others, thus I am less enthused about reading their stories.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY IDEA TO READ ROMAN HISTORY A DYNASTY AT A TIME?

sORRY