UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Discovery Channel Feature: The Battle For Rome

Anyway, I hate to complain about this series because I'd really like there to be more of them, and I hope they inspire people to buy books on ancient Rome--but it would be nice if some more of those books were read by the film producers themselves.

This is the sad state we all find ourselves in, Cato. We love the history of the Roman world, therefore we greedily tune into whatever is on offer. And I fully agree with you, that 'anything Rome' is better than nothing. But I also share your disappointment in how poorly some of these programmes are researched. And if only the producers would stop this spurious representation of goodies and baddies!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the sad state we all find ourselves in, Cato. We love the history of the Roman world, therefore we greedily tune into whatever is on offer. And I fully agree with you, that 'anything Rome' is better than nothing. But I also share your disappointment in how poorly some of these programmes are researched. And if only the producers would stop this spurious representation of goodies and baddies!

I will have to agree with you on this one. As I have stated on the BBC thread the show does not do a very good job at getting the events or characters across properly, but in terms of sets and costumes the show is well ahead of others in trying to portray an ancient Rome that is constantly changing, with different fashions, architecture etc (even if it's not completly accurate - Carthaginians dressed as Iberians and so on).

Like I said before the show is probably much more accurate than your average History/Discovery Channel documentary on the Romans but it still lacks accuracy. Still, it is not that bad a starting point for those who are only just becoming interested in Rome - if it gets people to read factual, accurate books on the Romans then it has done some good. For most Romanophiles though the show is a dissapointment.

Tim O'Neil, an Aussie Romanophile, is (was) producing a movie about the Varrian Disaster. He was on roman-empire.net and had his own site. He encouraged others to participate with their insights. He knew his stuff. If it ever comes out, I am sure that it will be a worthy product.

Lost track of him.

I saw the last two shows yesterday. I thought they were pretty good, and really make me want to obtain some primary sourcebooks now to confirm that whole mess leading to Alaric sacking Rome.

Poor Honorius. :P

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

• 2 weeks later...
I saw the last two shows yesterday. I thought they were pretty good, and really make me want to obtain some primary sourcebooks now to confirm that whole mess leading to Alaric sacking Rome.

There seems to be a lack of good primary sources for the Later Roman Empire. I was looking to buy a copy of the letters of Symmachus ( a late Roman noble man) and Amazon does sell some copies but they all seem to be priced between 150-200. That's far too much. Either way, if you purchase some books about the Fall of Rome (Peter Heather's book the Fall of the Roman Empire, for instance) you will find some excerpts from primary sources.

• 4 months later...

You know, I didn't get to see a single one of these programmes. I was in the middle of a house move at the time... I suppose I will have to get the DVDs.

Poor Honorius. :)

Hmmm... didn't he have Stilicho murdered?

I'm frustrated that we didn't get them here in Denmark - apparently the "Discovery Channel Europe" is a very seperate monster than the UK version.

I'll have to keep checking the TV guide to see when and if they'll be showing them here.

Thanks for posting the links Cato! You can also see the original BBC version of the Caesar episode if you type 'Ancient Rome BBC' into the Youtube search engine.

By the way, there's a small segment from the episode about Tiberius Gracchus. Unfortunately it has no dialouge, considering that's it a music video.