UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Google Earth Cannae

P.Clodius

Thought provoking point Decimus...What was the frontage of a 16 legion army deployed for battle? I know the romans went for depth as opposed to width. If they'd gone for width they would have easily out flanked Hannibal due to numbers. I would imagine the frontage for the actual battle to be about a mile.

What a useful take on the subject, this gives a real idea of scale. Any more such?

Someone say graphics?

He did indeed- the semi-transparent overlay ( on the lead link) is a useful reference tool. A few straightforawrd such would be a revealing resource-either that the suggested deployment was not as recorded (which we might certainly anticipate as regrads numbers of combatants) , that the interpretation of the field of action is obviously wrong (disposition of natural features) or that the logic of the engagement becomes much clearer when we see the terrain.Do you feel like attempting a pilot Antiochus?

I will start working on the tech this weekend. If someone would be so kind as to perhaps supply a battle plan for the transparency or a small summary of the battle so I know how to set it up; that would be wonderful.

I noticed that the battle of Cannae sample looked like a photocopy out of a book... given enough time I could do wonders and make one look completely integrated. (Without the white background and such- mostly aesthetics.

PM me for my email.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

So tell which you're doing first then I can do some background research.

Well, for a test run we should do something easy. Perhaps something like Zama. I know a bit about that battle, so all you would need to do is get the best battle layout you can find. It really doesn't matter which you pick, as long as we can get a "for sure"/accurate battle layout that I can work with.

Edit: I spent a minute or two and figured out how to do the overlay, it's easy.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia