UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Your screen name

The reason why I use my particualr name is simple.

If you join a renactment group you are usually given the name of an actual Roman period soldier, which has been taken from recorded tombstones, who served in the particular unit being 'recreated'.

What do you know about the real Melvadius?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why I use my particualr name is simple.

If you join a renactment group you are usually given the name of an actual Roman period soldier, which has been taken from recorded tombstones, who served in the particular unit being 'recreated'.

What do you know about the real Melvadius?

Not as much as I would have liked, although I know what unit he served in and from his name what his tribal affiliation was so have some general information on both, I don't know where he was when he died nor how old.

Apparently someone in the group I was in had trawled through a lot of records including some foreign sources in compiling a note book with the list of names they were issuing. However, while in the group, I was never offered the opportunity to read and fully copy out the relevant source information. :lol:

When I have a bit more time I hope to get around to completing that research for myself.

Edited by Melvadius

Not as much as I would have liked, although I know what unit he served in and from his name what his tribal affiliation was so have some general information on both, I don't know where he was when he died nor how old.

Apparently someone in the group I was in had trawled through a lot of records including some foreign sources in compiling a note book with the list of names they were issuing. However, while in the group, I was never offered the opportunity to read and fully copy out the relevant source information. :lol:

When I have a bit more time I hope to get around to completing that research for myself.

Mel:

Perhaps you wish to revise your answer ... here.

:-)

G

Mel:

Perhaps you wish to revise your answer ... here.

:-)

G

Nope I don't think that I do. That was an answer relating to my 'potential' Doctoral Thesis.

What would I do if on checking up I discovered that my 'original' self/ alter ego had simply slipped and drowned attempting to cross a river shortly after joining up?

Embarrassing to say the least, or what? ;)

Edited by Melvadius

Nope I don't think that I do. That was an answer relating to my 'potential' Doctoral Thesis.

What would I do if on checking up I discovered that my 'original' self/ alter ego had simply slipped and drowned attempting to cross a river shortly after joining up?

Embarrassing to say the least, or what? :lol:

LOL! You wouldn't want to down a few skins of wine with the man and find out about each other?

"Tell me more of these internets and this UNRV you speak of!"

• 2 months later...

I chose cornelius_sulla because he was a complicated character, just like me, and no one else had taken it. Why did you choose your UNRV moniker? Do you identify with your namesake? Is it an old nickname? I reckon 'Rugged Indoorsman" is bloody funny.

• 1 year later...
Salve Nephele,

Since you are a Goth and interested in names, you might want to know where I got mine from.

Click here formosus and shiver.

article

(don't have any nightmares)

From the article: Pope Stephen VI, the successor of Boniface, influenced by Lambert and Agiltrude, sat in judgment of Formosus in 897, in what was called the Cadaver Synod. The corpse was disinterred, clad in papal vestments, and seated on a throne to face all the charges from John VIII. The verdict was that the deceased had been unworthy of the pontificate. The Damnatio memoriae, an old judicial practice from the Ancient Rome was applied to Formosus and all his measures and acts were annulled, and the orders conferred by him were declared invalid. The papal vestments were torn from his body, the three fingers from his right hand that he had used in consecrations were cut off and the corpse was thrown into the Tiber (and later retrieved by a monk).

Cooool. Your choice of screen name has earned my deepest admiration!

Have an avatar, to go with your screen name!

Jean_Paul_Laurens_Le_Pape_Formos-1.jpg

-- Nephele

The Horror ! The horror !

Cooool. Your choice of screen name has earned my deepest admiration!

Have an avatar, to go with your screen name!

Jean_Paul_Laurens_Le_Pape_Formos-1.jpg

-- Nephele

I have used that one already when we had our legendary 'Tar Wars over at SVR.

And if you are 'that kind of girl', just google 'santa maria della concezione'. Hours of fun. (And a must if you visit Rome.)

Smorfius Virtuosus :D

Edited by Formosus Viriustus

And if you are 'that kind of girl', just google 'santa maria della concezione'. Hours of fun. (And a must if you visit Rome.)

That place is absolutely on my "must see" touring list! I don't remember, but I think that place might have been featured in The History Channel series called "Cities of the Underworld."

I did a little mention of the series here.

The first season DVD is definitely a good buy!

-- Nephele

That place is absolutely on my "must see" touring list! I don't remember, but I think that place might have been featured in The History Channel series called "Cities of the Underworld."

I did a little mention of the series here.

The first season DVD is definitely a good buy!

-- Nephele

Salve Regina,

Well, they would have been very stupid if they missed that one.

I wrote a few pieces on the catacombs and Roman churchyards, over at SVR. There's some lovers of the macabre there too. Our host, M. Octavius Gracchus, even has his own graveyards of illinois site.

Vale !

Salve Regina,

Well, they would have been very stupid if they missed that one.

I wrote a few pieces on the catacombs and Roman churchyards, over at SVR. There's some lovers of the macabre there too. Our host, M. Octavius Gracchus, even has his own graveyards of illinois site.

Vale !

Oooo, nice! My cold heart beats a litter warmer at the fond thought of cemeteries. I happen to be a member of The Friends of Woodlawn Cemetery (established in 1863 in the Bronx). As a member, I get access to the old mausoleums.

-- Nephele

Salve Nephele,

Viriustus : I saw that in the lovely little protestant churchyard in Rome. A relatively recent tombstone wit just a name and the dates and the inscription VIR IVSTVS and I thought, well that's nice, if they put that on your stone. Not likely to happen for me though, so ....

More names and games ?

Salvete Nephele et Omnes,

The rest of my name : 'Spurius' is pretty self-explanatory, I think, and 'Sempronius' refers to the Sempronii Gracchi brothers. ( I was asked to choose a name that less or more conformed with Roman standards when joining SVR.)

Oh, and did you know that in Dutch 'Gaius', spelled as 'gajes' is a synonym for 'lowlife' and a very popular insult ? ( In the Netherlands that is. We Flemish Belgians don't use it all that much.)

Thus my other alterego's name : 'Gaius Virvulgus'. But I thought that one was a bit too common to use in such distinguished circles as the SVR and the UNRV.

You do know of course that 'lol' is a Dutch word for 'fun' ? 'Veel lol gehad' means 'Had lots of fun'.

Yes, Dutch is a funny language. Or, as we say : 'Nederlands is een lollige taal.'

And to put a common mistake right, while I'm at it : 'Flemish' is not a language. The northern part of Belgium is called 'Flanders' and its inhabitants are called 'Flemish'. Our language however is 'Dutch'. There are some slight differences of course in everyday use between us and the Dutch. The spelling however is exactly the same, unlike with British and American English. You can speak a Flemish dialect if you want or with a Flemish accent. You can't however speak or write the 'Flemish language' since that doesn't exist.

Valete Optime !