UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

TV SERIES ''EMPIRE''?

frankq

This seems to have slipped the net here-but I did find thsi by sheer inadvertence:

http://www.romanmysteries.com/author/tvseries.htm

I missed it on purpose...

Having read the discussion in the above-mentioned old thread on this very topic, I have to say I am so glad I missed it too! I don't think it ever got to us here in the UK, but if it did, it passed me by. Perhaps it's as well. :(

I was reading reviews of this very same show a few weeks ago. I've never seen it, and after I had read about it I don't think I want to. Octavian stuck in a Gladiator camp? Antony and no sign of Cleopatra?

Why do the pictures from the show have a guy wearing what looks like a badly made leather Corinthian helmet from 5th Century Greece? And so on...

Hmmm. Well. All the former posts are interesting. It seems the show started off to impress. Why then the reduced PR here atn this site? Since I joined it's been ROME this and ROME that. But never any mention (that I recall) of EMPIRE.

Did EMPIRE have a Brit cast or a US one? You know there is a UK conspiracy, (in league with the Romulans), to dominate all Roman roles.

Since I joined it's been ROME this and ROME that. But never any mention (that I recall) of EMPIRE.

For the simple reason that Empire sucked. And I've got better reason than most here to complain, since I seem to be the only one who spent money on the DVD. We'd never heard of the sereies, and thought it might be a European show that just hadn't made it to the US market.

We're well-known at our local FYE, so were able to trade it in on a used Looney Toons boxed set.

Hmmm. Well. All the former posts are interesting. It seems the show started off to impress. Why then the reduced PR here atn this site? Since I joined it's been ROME this and ROME that. But never any mention (that I recall) of EMPIRE.

Did EMPIRE have a Brit cast or a US one? You know there is a UK conspiracy, (in league with the Romulans), to dominate all Roman roles.

Yes. I always find an American accent far more convincing.

Thats why I regard 'Hercules: The Legendary Journey' and 'Zena: Warrior Princess' to be of the upmost quality and historical truth.

How long do these mushrooms work for....?

As I recall it was largely American. However, it was not the acting that was truly at fault, but the script itself. Though the lad who portrayed Octavian missed the mark completely, it may have been the fault of the director/writers rather than any lack of acting skill.

How long do these mushrooms work for....?

Not long enough to enjoy "Empire". :P

Since I joined it's been ROME this and ROME that. But never any mention (that I recall) of EMPIRE.

For the simple reason that Empire sucked. And I've got better reason than most here to complain, since I seem to be the only one who spent money on the DVD. We'd never heard of the sereies, and thought it might be a European show that just hadn't made it to the US market.

We're well-known at our local FYE, so were able to trade it in on a used Looney Toons boxed set.

I spent money on it as well, unfortunately. It was entertaining, but in terms of historical accuracy, I'd give it a 1 - and that's just because they were adept enough to at least get the names spelled right in the credits.

Edited by Caballero