UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

greek fire did it exist??

i think it was called greek fire the type that they used to attack a bunch of ships with and won

Greek fire was a burning liquid which was used in battle, the clever thing about it was that when water was thrown on it it made the fire worse, a quite formidable weapon.

I think the actual ingrediants of it are still being argued over even today

Here is an article I found about the subject:

Greek fire - Wikipedia

It seems to be a Weapon that was used primarily by the Byzantines, whcih according to the website it was invented around AD c.670, placing it after the Roman era. It was used succesfully to repel many invaders who attempted to blockade Constantinople. It was even used against the Crusaders during the Fourth Crusade.

i remember watching a show where they recreated it or at least something similar to it anyway

Here's a description of the makings of greek fire

The ingredients, process of manufacture, and usage were a very carefully guarded military secret -- so secret it remains a source of speculation to this day. Speculations include:

It is not clear if it was ignited by a flame as the mixture emerged from the syringe, or if it ignited spontaneously when it came into contact with water. If the latter is the case, it is possible that the active ingredient was calcium phosphide, made by heating lime, bones, and charcoal. On contact with water, calcium phosphide releases phosphine, which ignites spontaneously. However, Greek fire was also used on land.

These ingredients were apparently heated in a cauldron, and then pumped out through a siphon or large syringe (known as a siphonarios) mounted on the bow of the ship. It could also be used in hand grenades, made of earthenware vessels. If a pyrophoric reaction was involved, perhaps these grenades contained chambers for the fluids, which mixed and ignited when the vessel broke on impact with the target.

• 5 months later...

some how i could see it having a wick of some sort or something in wich to use as a source for in which to act as an ignitor

However, Greek fire was also used on land.
so my theory is that it had to have some source of flammable ignition with a kind of whick or something along those lines