UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Servilia

spittle

According to the audio commentary on the 'Rome' DVD:

"For a short time after Caesars death Servilia was the most powerful person in Rome..."

I'd welcome any comments concerning this.

I especially want clarification of the reasons for her power. Was she Pro Caesar? (and carried on his plans) or was she anti-Caesar (and took power through her relationship to Brutus and (by now a legendary martyr, Cato)?

The actual dialogue was part of an explanation of the actual role of Roman Patrician women in the politic. Although they were inelligible to hold elected positions (were there any for women?) they often found/manoeuvred themselves into positions of great influence and, by extension, power.

Take Servilia as the example. By being the lover of Caesar she had influence over the Caesarians. But she was also the brother of Cato (the anti-Caesar) and the mother of Brutus. In effect giving her a stance with one foot in each enemy camp. Thats the type of power that no vote can elect someone into.

Edited by spittle

I think there's an important distinction to be made between 'power' and 'influence'. A person who has great power can direct the actions of others without needing to persuade them; a person who has great influence can persuade many others easily. As a woman, Servilia might have had great influence (and she probably did), but she wielded no power.

I've often wondered about her relationship with Cato. The picture of the relationship imagined by McCullough is a possibility, I suppose, though obviously others are equally well imagined. Does anyone have a good article or book on Servilia to recommend?

It's possible that Servilia was among the most influential people immediately following Caesar's assassination, but most "powerful" seems a rather subjective statement. The influence recorded by Cicero is quite clear. (This letter and this letter to Atticus are perhaps far more revealing than the idea that she offered consul to the assassins in her home.)

The idea that a woman could influence the passage of senatorial decree, especially in an era of tyrants... how truly modern!

Semantics again, Cato?

I think I was clear in my post that Roman women could not hold elected office and gain power in that way but they could, through belonging to groups, use their influence to powerful effect.

I believe there was a big uproar in Italy a few years ago concerning the political practice of influence pedalling. Its a back door to power.