UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Neglected areas

The Augusta

As you know, I have only been here a couple of months at the most, but have loved every minute of my time here. My teenagers love it even more, for it means that I no longer need to bore them about Romans and Greeks. But whilst I have thoroughly enjoyed taking part in the political threads, and have even ventured a toe into the vast waters of the military, I must admit to almost dreading 'yet another thread about Augustus'. Don't get me wrong, I love the man - he is one of my all time heroes; but I sometimes find myself at a loss for anything new to say about him. This being the case, I have spent the last couple of days trawling through old threads to see what has and has not been discussed during the history of UNRV - and particularly, what response certain topics were given.

The art and architecture of the Roman Republic and Empire do not appear to have been discussed in any great depth (I'm sure PP or Viggen will point me to the appropriate thread if I have missed it). This is a vast topic, and I am sure there must be at least one other member on here who would find it interesting. The literature too, while this appears to have been an area of interest for Pompeius Magnus (the member, not the historical figure) did not seem to garner the replies in threads that debates about the fall of the Republic or Republic versus Empire attract.

Having studied the culture of the ancient world in all its diverse forms, I always found it an integral part of the history, and one that informs our knowledge of the Romans. One area of particular interest to me is the 'personality cult' of the emperors, and the wealth of art and monuments that this produced. But this is just one area, and other members may have other suggestions for some new topics in the Humanitas folder. Would it be worthwhile, for instance, to explore the changes in portrait sculpture? Could we compare, say, the way Cicero or Sulla were portrayed by the sculptors, to the more idealised, semi-religious and Hellenistic influenced portraits of an Augustus or a Tiberius? Did the portraits of women (few as these were in the Republican period) really change as much with the ushering in of the Imperial period? Zanker's The Power of Images in the Age of Augustus (Michigan, 1990) explored the political interplay in some depth, but I am more interested in discussing the topic from a cultural point of view.

I don't know if there are any art enthusiasts in our community, but if there are, could we get some discussions going? And if there are also other topics where members feel the threads are lacking, could you please post your comments.

:angry:

Edited by The Augusta

Augstan architecture - particularly the Forum Augustum - is an area I find fascinating. A thread about it would be thoroughly welcomed.

Let's see if we can get the ball rolling by asking a question: how do Augustus' Imperial buildings mirror his intended aspiration of greatness without overtly implying kingship?

It's a bit hard to discuss Roman art without the images and background information handy. Presumably we all have the Kritios boy and Prima Porta Augustus emblazened in our brain, but how many could even name all the women of the Republican period whose portraits survived?

Perhaps, Augusta, you'd care to craft a series of links to get the conversation rolling?

Another commonality of interest, Augusta.

I know a SMALL amount about imperial portaiture and both public and domestic architecture in Rome, Ostia, Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Happy to discuss or start a few threads, but I was roundly chided when I tried to discuss potential wider interpretations of Nero's Golden House. So be warned.

But as always from you, August one, a great idea.

Phil

It's a bit hard to discuss Roman art without the images and background information handy. Presumably we all have the Kritios boy and Prima Porta Augustus emblazened in our brain, but how many could even name all the women of the Republican period whose portraits survived?

Perhaps, Augusta, you'd care to craft a series of links to get the conversation rolling?

A good point, Cato. I will post a series as soon as I can - at the moment I am constantly fighting my daughter for use of the laptop as my own PC is minus internet until Friday! But there are some very good sites with great images, and I have a collection of images on my own PC which I will upload to my Photobucket account for discussion.

As for the women of the Republic whose portraits have survived, this is part of the problem in itself, as many are unnamed. As far as I am aware, the first Roman woman who was awarded a statue was Cornelia, mother of the Gracchi. Before that time, female statuary represented deities or legendary figures. I will try to get some links up today, and will introduce more as the discussions progress.

A quick edit to add and clarify: Cornelia's statue was the first to be awarded to a living Roman woman.

Edited by The Augusta

Augstan architecture - particularly the Forum Augustum - is an area I find fascinating. A thread about it would be thoroughly welcomed.

Let's see if we can get the ball rolling by asking a question: how do Augustus' Imperial buildings mirror his intended aspiration of greatness without overtly implying kingship?

Thank you, WW. I would love a discussion on this very topic. But perhaps we would need to discuss it from the point of view of a couple of case studies - perhaps looking at, say, the Ara Pacis and the Pont du Gard, so that there would also be a comparison between the type of buildings: one a monument to peace with no particular utilitarian function, and the other a functional structure: one building in the capital, one in a province. Is this the sort of thing you mean?