• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you ever noticed that the accent in roman media has to be British

From Gladiator

to Victoria and Marcus in Rome Total War

to Rome television series

maybe that's where I got the idea that the British are more Romanophilic!

Mind you I'm not complaining.

an American or Australian sounding Roman would be just as bizzarre as a Cowboy who sounds like he's from Yorkshire!

Is "at university" British for "in college"? :)

It's actually a more internally-consistent usage, isn't it? In NBC English, "Are you going to school?" and "Are you going to the hospital?"; in BBC English, "Are you going to school?" and "Are you going to hospital?"

have you ever noticed that the accent in roman media has to be British

From Gladiator

to Victoria and Marcus in Rome Total War

to Rome television series

I believe it actually goes back to William Wyler's Ben Hur. Wyler said he specifically wanted British accents used for the Romans, while American accents would represent the Judeans (the Romans were the bad guys, remember).

This was from the movie's souvenir booklet.

I believe it actually goes back to William Wyler's Ben Hur. Wyler said he specifically wanted British accents used for the Romans, while American accents would represent the Judeans (the Romans were the bad guys, remember).

This was from the movie's souvenir booklet.

You know what also follows that pattern?

the first Star Wars!

I attribute that to the Imperials being from the sophisticated core worlds.

:P sorry for the tangent but Im such a nerd ! :lol:

Is "at university" British for "in college"? :lol:

It's actually a more internally-consistent usage, isn't it? In NBC English, "Are you going to school?" and "Are you going to the hospital?"; in BBC English, "Are you going to school?" and "Are you going to hospital?"

In BBC English (or at least in mine!) you can say "Are you going to hospital?" (because you're ill, but we don't know where that ambulance is going to drop you off) or "Are you going to the hospital?" (because we're talking about a particular hospital and you're moving in that direction).

As for the school thing, I've got three: "Are you going to school?" (because it's 8 am but you don't know whether the child is about to play truant); "Are you going to the school?" (a particular school that we know well, and you're walking that way) or "Do you go to school?" (i. e. habitually; because the kid is about 5 years old, or about 17, and we don't know whether they go to any school).

But if we're talking about university, then in BBC English you don't call it a "school". "Are you at university?" "Do you go to university?" Also, the word "college" isn't much used in a general sense in British English (I think), although lots of particular institutions of various kinds have the name "College".

I expect I'll be sent to Tartarus for this: it seems to be a long way from the thread!

(to other Americans) Am I right that we Romanophiles are in the minority?

If I were surrounded by Romanophiles in real life I wouldn't spend so much time on this site.

I agree with Ursus. Outside of a select group in the Italian-American organizations I belong to, the main Romanophiles I have known in my 41 years were foreign exchange students. Some 60% were Europeans, mainly Germans. The other 40% were various South Americans.

Outside of a select group in the Italian-American organizations I belong to, the main Romanophiles I have known in my 41 years were foreign exchange students. Some 60% were Europeans, mainly Germans. The other 40% were various South Americans.

Italian American Romanophilia makes sense

But Germans? :huh: weird: They were the part of Europe that didn't become Roman!

Our poll "where is everyone from" doesn't bear this out.

I guess the 13 members from Continental Europe are the Romanophiles who are comfortable using English.

what do you guys think?