UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Tablet mentioning Masada's destroyer discovered

Correct . But , think about it , some 6,000 to 7,000 Romans and allies spending a year or so to take a hill...Silva got a Consulship for that...

Masada was taken in 73AD but Silva didn't recieve his consulship until 81AD, that's eight long years so surely there must have been some other deciding factor in getting his consulship?

P.P., thanks for the article and site.

Questions:

After one hundred years, why would there be anything of value left in the palace to set it afire? And the corollary, why would the Sicarii bother at this point? Seems to me that robbers would have cleared the palace of all the valuables.

Why would the Sicarii bother with burning the weapons? The Romans would have done that.

Why would they have burnt the good food? I don't think that the Sicarii felt that the Romans needed it.

Why would they have burnt the good food? I don't think that the Sicarii felt that the Romans needed it.

The Sacarii wanted to show the Romans that they could have held out longer, so they didn't burn the food.