UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Centurions' Rings

I've read mention of rings worn by Centurions as a symbol of office (most often they have an eagle design). A quick google search brings up several images of rings designed after what these officers' rings are supposed to look like. I've even seen a few which were supposed to be actual rings from the Roman Legions. My question is, did these things really exist? (I have alot of doubts about finding the "real deal" for sale on ebay, lol.) Is there any historical mention of rings being worn as symbols of office in the Legions?

I've read mention of rings worn by Centurions as a symbol of office (most often they have an eagle design). A quick google search brings up several images of rings designed after what these officers' rings are supposed to look like. I've even seen a few which were supposed to be actual rings from the Roman Legions. My question is, did these things really exist? (I have alot of doubts about finding the "real deal" for sale on ebay, lol.) Is there any historical mention of rings being worn as symbols of office in the Legions?

Rings were common throughout the Roman Empire, particularly in the later periods, when everyone was allowed to wear them, except slaves.

However, in ancient (Republican) times, the rings were usually worn by aristocrats and senators, in fact, wore a plain old iron ring, which was probably handed down from one paterfamilias to another over generations. If I recall, only the first eight senior most centurions were granted the privilege of wearing rings and I'm sure they were plain and not gem studded, as people would like to imagine.

Of course, aristocrats also had a signet ring, which was used to seal documents and evidence their signature.

Rings were common throughout the Roman Empire, particularly in the later periods, when everyone was allowed to wear them, except slaves.

However, in ancient (Republican) times, the rings were usually worn by aristocrats and senators, in fact, wore a plain old iron ring, which was probably handed down from one paterfamilias to another over generations. If I recall, only the first eight senior most centurions were granted the privilege of wearing rings and I'm sure they were plain and not gem studded, as people would like to imagine.

Of course, aristocrats also had a signet ring, which was used to seal documents and evidence their signature.

well said skarr, i would like to add that a centurion ring was regarded as a priceless hierloom and was frequently past from genereation downwards, thi s is probably why many think that the it was either the firxt cohort (therefore 10 centurions) or 8 as you say and i agree.