UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Famous Roman Women

The Augusta

OK, I'm not quite sure where to post this - in fact, I'm not sure whether it should be posted on the Forum as a whole or whether it should be addressed to a mod in a PM. The thing is, on our History section, we have several articles on the Empire, the Republic, a list of emperors, a list of Republican statesman etc. I have noticed that there isn't a section devoted to famous Roman women. I am thinking of women such as Cornelia, Servilia etc., not to mention the later famous ladies of the empire: Livia, Agrippina Major and Minor, Messalina, Julia Domna etc.

My question is this: Would anyone be interested in compiling 1) a list of famous Roman women, and 2} would anyone be willing to contribute biographies? These could be as simple or as complex as you wish.

I would certainly be willing to submit a few biographies, but I couldn't do it all on my own! Would anyone out there, male or female, be willing to help? PP, Viggen and Moonlapse, perhaps you could offer your guidance in this.

Edited by The Augusta

What fascinates me about Servilia (and, I guess other Roman women were similar) was that she managed to amass huge power by keeping a foot in both camps. In fact she had a bit of herself in many spheres of influence.

They may not have been able to gain power by the 'direct' path but that didn't stop women like Servilia.

As for Porcia how does one kill themselves by inhaling fumes from hot coals? It sounds like a wierd way to dispatch ones self.

Why don't you get the ball rolling, Gail?

A mini biog of Livia putting the record straight for all the I, Claudius viewers (like myself)?

If Livia had died young she would be more well known than Cleopatra but she wasn't tragic enough. Too successful by far!

Edited by spittle

This is a good idea, there were some very interesting Roman women around like Livia, Porcia, Servilia etc all very intelligent and complex women in thier own right who could quite easily have ruled the Empire on thier own.

Then there's the women like Julia the elder and Messalina who's depravity and seediness reached all time lows, these women had everything they could possibly want and should have set the example of Roman matronliness but yet they spent every spare minute in the gutter.

Thanks for the positive response, gents and Doc. I will certainly get a few bios up and running over this weekend.

There'll be no prizes for guessing who my first lady will be...... ;)

But how shall we decide who is doing what? Take it as read that I will start with Livia and Antonia minor, and we'll see how it goes from there.

Paul - you seem to have an interest in Servilia. Would you be willing to write a piece about her?

I for one have always appreciated women studies, provided it didn't degenerate into pomo babble. I tried getting something going on here a long time ago but it didn't pan out.

Unfortunately, I have little knowledge of the subject. You are the perfect person to spearhead the topic with Livia, Augusta. Just set the example and others will follow.

PS - Some of the Byzantines around here like Tobias could give you great insights into the infamous Byzantine Empresses.

I'll try to write a mini-biog of Servilia but I'd like to see someone else's attempt first to 'inspire' me (give me a clue where to start!). This could turn into a group effort?

Quote from AUGUSTUS: Godfather of Europe by Richard Holland

Scene setter. Its days after Caesars assassination and the conspirators, Cicero and a few others are at Servilia's. Mark Antony has offered Cassius and Brutus important but junior positions on the Corn Commision as a way of giving them a honourable reason to get far away from Rome....while things settle down.

"...Cicero launched into a speach about how, on the Ides, Brutus and Cassius should have summoned the Senate after the assassination and taken charge of the Republic before Antony emerged from his hiding place. Servilia, angry at at this implied criticism of her son and son-in-law exploded 'Well I'll be...! I never heard such stuff!' The great orator suddenly lost his voice. 'I held myself back' he wrote later. Servilia wound up the debate, having had quite enough of Cicero's advice. She announced imperiously that she would arrange for the two appointments to the Corn Commision to be excised from the Senate's resolution. Nobody present seems to have doubted that this was within her power and influence to achieve"

In that one paragraph Servilia is shown as being the most influential person in the meeting despite being with Cassius, Brutus AND Cicero! Mark Antony had virtually absolute power in Rome at this time yet everyone believed she could influence the Senate to go against his wishes and remove appointments to the Corn Commision. And she talked to Cicero as though he were an idiotic pleb and he took it!

Edited by spittle

An excellent idea Augusta! There should be a biography on Galla Placidia, one of the most fascinating women in Roman times, and one that would have an important impact on the fate of the Empire.

Here is a short page on her from Wikipedia (not the most reliable of sources.)

Galla Placidia

I used to have a favourited link to pages about Roman women. Unfortunately the site has since disappeared; which is a shame as there were many primary sources to be had on it, as well as evaluation of women by historians.

An excellent idea Augusta! There should be a biography on Galla Placidia, one of the most fascinating women in Roman times, and one that would have an important impact on the fate of the Empire.

Here is a short page on her from Wikipedia (not the most reliable of sources.)

Galla Placidia

I used to have a favourited link to pages about Roman women. Unfortunately the site has since disappeared; which is a shame as there were many primary sources to be had on it, as well as evaluation of women by historians.

Thanks for the link, Decimus. Yes, she is an excellent choice for this project. Roman women who somehow left their mark on their own society. Does your interest in her mean that you would be willing to contribute a piece on her?

• 2 weeks later...

To study the women of the Empire you should look for the books by Marie-Therese Rapsaet Charlier. She's one of the main scholar on women of the senatorial class during the Empire and wrote many books on the subject which have been translated in the English ( her latest one has been translated in 5 languages if I remember well ). While her "prosopography of the women of the senatorial order" might be too technical the book "the women in ancient rome" by Danielle Gourevitch and her is excellent and recent since the French edition only dates from 2001.