UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Marius Mule Illustration

Wow, that's really good! Wish I could draw figures like that!

One thing I notice is that his pudgio looks a little strange, I think it should be more to the side, instead of in front like it is.

Is this digital?

Hello

Thanks for the feedback.

As a a method i draw traditionally (on paper), scanned it and paint with Photoshop or painter computer programs.

Best regards

JP Vieira

That's a very good picture Jp, keep up the goodwork. I am not sure that a legionary of Marius' time would have worn a cingulim (belt) of the type you have shown. The leather strips hanging from the belt would not have been present at the time. I believe they first appeared during the second half of the first century BC. The sword handle is also from another period. The one shown in your picture seems to be a 'Pompeii' type gladius from the first century AD. The one during Marius' time would be a gladius hispaniensis of a shorter type.

Here is an illustration of how the sword and the pugio might have looked like:

roman-gladius.jpeg

The sword handle looks different to later gladius types.

JP did say his legionary was from the first half of the first century - I think the term 'Marius Mule' was probably still in use at this time, much as the word 'Bobby' for police in England still is, and refers to the professional soldiery brought into being by Marius' reforms.

This image is great - will there be any future paintings of later Roman troops?

Edited by Northern Neil

JP did say his legionary was from the first half of the first century - I think the term 'Marius Mule' was probably still in use at this time, much as the word 'Bobby' for police in England still is, and refers to the professional soldiery brought into being by Marius' reforms.

This image is great - will there be any future paintings of later Roman troops?

Hello

Many thanks to all for the feedback.

This is a legionary from the first half of the 1st century AD.

I use the term Marius Mule as a generic designation.

I have done some sketches of late roman troops, but it will take some time to complete them.

I will post soon a new thread regarding a 3rd century clibanarius.

Best regards

JP Vieira

Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was meant to represent a legionary of the latter half of the second century BC. It is an excellent picture. I will be looking forward to seeing the the Late Roman soldiers.

Brilliant work JP!! :)

Edited by DecimusCaesar

Excellent work. Since you're depicting a legionary in marching order have you considered the two wooden stakes he must carry to help build a marching fort? Granted they wouldn't always do that but it was standard practice.

Fantastic picture JP :D

Just out of interest, how long did that picture take you from start to finish?

Hello

Thanks for the feedback.

I do not know exactly how long it took to make this one, because I tend to work on different illustration at a time.

Currently I am working on 4...

Best regards

JP Vieira

Excellent work. Since you're depicting a legionary in marching order have you considered the two wooden stakes he must carry to help build a marching fort? Granted they wouldn't always do that but it was standard practice.

Hello

Thank you for your interest.

Actually this illustration is not finish yet.

When it does it will feature all the equipment that the legionary would carry.

Best regards

JP Vieira