UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Rings

Lost_Warrior

My mom just shared an interesting bit of info with me; my newest piece of alexandrite jewelery got here today, and it's too small for any finger I'd want to wear it on, but I slipped it on my middle finger as far as it would go (just above the middle knuckle) and decided it looked pretty cool that way. My mom chirped up with "you know, that's how the Romans wore their rings; that's why the ones they find are such small sizes" (size 2 and 3 apparently).

Is this true? Or is it just parental gibberish? It'd make sense if it were true, as my friend showed me a picture of a Roman archer's ring, which was apparently used to help aim the bow, and it would make alot more sense if it were worn mid-finger instead of where we normally wear rings today.

My mom just shared an interesting bit of info with me; my newest piece of alexandrite jewelery got here today, and it's too small for any finger I'd want to wear it on, but I slipped it on my middle finger as far as it would go (just above the middle knuckle) and decided it looked pretty cool that way. My mom chirped up with "you know, that's how the Romans wore their rings; that's why the ones they find are such small sizes" (size 2 and 3 apparently).

Is this true? Or is it just parental gibberish? It'd make sense if it were true, as my friend showed me a picture of a Roman archer's ring, which was apparently used to help aim the bow, and it would make alot more sense if it were worn mid-finger instead of where we normally wear rings today.

Link to article

Read around the middle. The article is also interesting too.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

yea but...a size 2 ring is like...well that *might* fit a pencil LOL. I don't think anyone's hands are that small, especially not a full grown adult, even if they WERE smaller.

But then, my mom exhadgerates quite a bit so "size 2" might actually be "size 4 or 5"

Edited by Lost_Warrior

yea but...a size 2 ring is like...well that *might* fit a pencil LOL. I don't think anyone's hands are that small, especially not a full grown adult, even if they WERE smaller.

But then, my mom exhadgerates quite a bit so "size 2" might actually be "size 4 or 5"

Sorry, I didn't edit my post in time...for get what I said earlier[i realized I exaggerated a bit too much]. But the link I gave you should help.