UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Legionary Ring

My mom surprised me one night with a beautiful ring believed to be a legionary's ring!! (She gave it to me early because she said that having it in her room was giving her nightmares lol). It has some damage (a small hole where the engraver cut too deep or the ring was dented and broke at the engraving line) but other than that, is in perfect condition!

Here's what the seller had to say about it:

New Empire Antiquities proudly presents a wonderful Roman military ring. Evenly coated in a glossy green and brown patina. It is composed of a semi-rounded band which is notched with incised lines on its entire surface. The table is deeply engraved with a 5-pointed star (the pentagram) and a dotted pattern background, the shoulders decorated with littus and hash marks. This rare example measures a fully wearable US size 9 and is in extremely fine condition. Don't miss it!

The fact that this ring was discovered in Eastern Europe and dates from the first to the century AD, suggests it is a Roman military ring. Though some ancient cultures associated the star with certain Gods such as the Celtic Goddess Morrigan or for the Druids, it was a symbol of Godhead. The pentagram symbol today is ascribed many meanings and deep significance, though much of this is very recent. Therefore, with the evidence presented and the fact that the background dotted pattern is repeated on Legionary eagle rings, together with the shoulders carrying emperor's Littus, I must insist that the star during the Roman period was a symbol of Imperial power, later adopted by the early Christians as a symbol of the five wounds of Christ.

legionaryring.jpg

legionaryringside.jpg

Here you can see the file marks on the inside and the small hole in the ring:

ringinside.jpg

I'll probably wear it. Not to work though, lol. I don't think wearing it will hurt it (if it actually has been in the earth for 2000 years, and if it is a fake, well, no big loss). I won't wear it to work and get Spray Nine on it or something that probably wouldn't be good LOL