Roman influences on Germanic tribes

tehsojiro

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sources:

A Dalby "Dangerous Liasons"

Hmm, I'm afraid I must dispute you slightly on this Pertinax. I believe you might be citing "Everything you ever wanted to know about Frankincense" by the esteemed Andrew Dalby rather than his work on skin sores, "Dangerous Lesions". (which appropriately includes an entire chapter dedicated to the "private" regions of the human body)

With the close relationship of the subject matter at hand, I can see the ease at which one can slip into such a simple yet honest mistake.

Hold on, I haven't written my "Dangerous Liaisons" book yet (let alone the other two). Pertinax must have read it through a time warp. I could have sworn I was going to recommend myrrh rather than frankincense ...

Additionally, be sure to use a little mastic (it must be the best mastic, Chios mastic, seldom in stock at Do-It-All) to keep body and soul together.

Through the gracious effort of P.P., we are informed of the proper manner of 'greeting' amongst sundry. I feel that it is incumbent upon him to be equally gracious and inform all as to the proper parting salutation.

It's obvious, surely. Just turn round ... The Latin word for it is lunatio, if I mistake not, Watson.

sources:

Hmm, I'm afraid I must dispute you slightly on this Pertinax. I believe you might be citing "Everything you ever wanted to know about Frankincense" by the esteemed Andrew Dalby rather than his work on skin sores, "Dangerous Lesions". (which appropriately includes an entire chapter dedicated to the "private" regions of the human body)

With the close relationship of the subject matter at hand, I can see the ease at which one can slip into such a simple yet honest mistake.

Hold on, I haven't written my "Dangerous Liaisons" book yet (let alone the other two). Pertinax must have read it through a time warp. I could have sworn I was going to recommend myrrh rather than frankincense ...

Additionally, be sure to use a little mastic (it must be the best mastic, Chios mastic, seldom in stock at Do-It-All) to keep body and soul together.

Through the gracious effort of P.P., we are informed of the proper manner of 'greeting' amongst sundry. I feel that it is incumbent upon him to be equally gracious and inform all as to the proper parting salutation.

It's obvious, surely. Just turn round ... The Latin word for it is lunatio, if I mistake not, Watson.

A.D., Someone must be impersonating you. I have seen the book.

For those of us who do not speak Latin, I feel that this 'lunatio' should be fleshed (pardon the term) out.

Could it have anything to do with the moon, as in 'mooning' people?

Edited by Gaius Octavius

sources:

A.D., Someone must be impersonating you. I have seen the book.

For those of us who do not speak Latin, I feel that this 'lunatio' should be fleshed (pardon the term) out.

Could it have anything to do with the moon, as in 'mooning' people?

Tertullian wrote a monograph on the subject. ''De lunatione sympotica''. I'm thinking of doing a translation.

Tertullian wrote a monograph on the subject. ''De lunatione sympotica''. I'm thinking of doing a translation.

Yo!, Dr. A.D. :ph34r: :

Stop thinking; give the vino a furlough, and get cracking on the translation. The ENTIRE Forum awaits your pearls with baited breath. :ph34r:

;)

Yo!, Dr. A.D. ;) :

Stop thinking; give the vino a furlough, and get cracking on the translation. The ENTIRE Forum awaits your pearls with baited breath. ;)

:D

You could always provide him with grant money to help the process along ;)

(Or you could help!)

The display habit came to Dacia from Germania Posterior brought by a jewish trader called Frankincensestain. After geting rich by trading with germans he was a Marcomaniac. The disese (see - J. Walker, J. Daniel, Ballantine - Aqua caliente in patria cannabiorum indica et sativa) gave him some dark looks that also influenced the goths that spread his style thruout the world.

The display habit came to Dacia from Germania Posterior brought by a jewish trader called Frankincensestain. After geting rich by trading with germans he was a Marcomaniac. The disese (see - J. Walker, J. Daniel, Ballantine - Aqua caliente in patria cannabiorum indica et sativa) gave him some dark looks that also influenced the goths that spread his style thruout the world.

Old Frank must have been a relative of Vlad ('the Impaler') Incensestain, I take it. I'm told it was very unwise to turn your back on Vlad, especially at full moon.

Yes, descendents of Frankincensestain lived many generations in the area under slightly mofied names. A family was named Frankenstain and others Inceststain. From the second family are Vlad Draculea (The Impaler) and Radu the Beautiful (The Impaled)

Yo!, Dr. A.D. :hammer: :

Stop thinking; give the vino a furlough, and get cracking on the translation. The ENTIRE Forum awaits your pearls with baited breath. ;)

:ph34r:

You could always provide him with grant money to help the process along ;) ...

Nice idea, Doc! I'll write anything for money. Which will eventually, of course, provide more and better vino.

I'm to writing an essay about, as the topic title says, the Roman influences on the germanic tribes, in particularily the ones living on the border regions of the Empire (around 100 bc - 200 ad) in what are now the Netherlands and Germany. I need information on how the roman expansions and trades influences the culture and way of life in the germanic tribes that lived there, and what happened afterwards with those influences (did they disappear?). It has to be a high quality essay so I'll need sources as well.

During the 1970s, the Dutch archaeologist, Lotte Hedeager studied the trade exchange system between Rome and 'Germania'. After carefully studying hard archaeological evidence and the literary sources, she concluded that there were three areas of economic interest on the German front: the first being the Roman Empire, awash with money and a market economy; the second being a so-called 'buffer zone' (200 km beyond the frontier), that lacked a monetary system, but had markets that allowed both basic commodities and luxuries of Rome to be traded; beyond the buffer zone lay 'Free Germany'

In the Germania, Tacitus implies that the Germans living closest to the Rhine (i.e. the 'buffer zone') are the more heavily subdued 'free Germans'; archaeologists would call them Romanised. He points out that these Germans are aware of the value of amber, and therefore trade it with Rome. However, the Germans living furthest away from Rome are described as beings free from the seductions of empire; they ignore the value of amber, and live a more simplistic existence.

That's just silly, everyone knows that all the Germanics gathered and traded amber with Jewish merchants in order to secure the necessary quantities of frankincense. In order to maximize wagon space, the Germanics ground it up before delivery. By complete accident, they soon learned that if they snorted the amber powder, it would provide much the same effects as modern *iagr*. If they happened to get a piece with an old petrified mosquito in it, it would make them hallucinate as well. Unfortunately, in that hallucinogenic state, the poor wild Germanics couldn't tell whose mate belonged to whom and this led to a massive baby boom. Undoubtedly, this was a direct cause of the Germanic migrations that ultimately ushered in the fall of the Roman west.

Clear and ironic evidence of Roman decadence (lust for frankincense) as a direct cause for their own demise.

:blink:

In the Germania, Tacitus implies that the Germans living closest to the Rhine (i.e. the 'buffer zone') are the more heavily subdued 'free Germans'; archaeologists would call them Romanised. He points out that these Germans are aware of the value of amber, and therefore trade it with Rome. However, the Germans living furthest away from Rome are described as beings free from the seductions of empire; they ignore the value of amber, and live a more simplistic existence.

That's just silly, everyone knows that all the Germanics gathered and traded amber with Jewish merchants in order to secure the necessary quantities of frankincense. In order to maximize wagon space, the Germanics ground it up before delivery. By complete accident, they soon learned that if they snorted the amber powder, it would provide much the same effects as modern *iagr*. If they happened to get a piece with an old petrified mosquito in it, it would make them hallucinate as well. Unfortunately, in that hallucinogenic state, the poor wild Germanics couldn't tell whose mate belonged to whom and this led to a massive baby boom. Undoubtedly, this was a direct cause of the Germanic migrations that ultimately ushered in the fall of the Roman west.

Clear and ironic evidence of Roman decadence (lust for frankincense) as a direct cause for their own demise.

:blink:

My Lord, I'm all perplexed now. On the one hand, I understand the connections, but on the other, I'm in disbeliefment.

SO Primus Pilus, explain this junk over again to me. And can you give me a book/source to read about this subject too.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus