UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Revealed - New Discoveries at Chester's Roman Amphitheatre

[PP's note: not so much an archaeology story as a bit of an awareness piece on the Chester's site, but some of you in the local area may be interested in attending some upcoming February events]

Excavations over the last three years have revealed some surprising finds at the amphitheatre. Groundbreaking research has revealed that Chester

The whole Ireland thing sounds strange. Chester seems much to far away to launch an invasion of Ireland. Considering the Romans built a small fort in Holyhead in the fourth century, wouldn't that be a better place to launch an invasion? After all Holyhead is and has been one of the main ports to sail to Ireland throughout it's history. Even Jonathon Swift used to take the ships there. As for the invasion, I think that Tacitus mentions that Ireland would be fairly easy to conquer. I think he suggests a legion and some Auxillaries would do the job.

This is odd because the "jumping offf point" for Ireland was mooted to be from the Stranraer area (like modern day ferry traffic) , Deva is much more related to strategic stranglehold over Wales.

I think That Roman relics have been found in Ireland recently. Don't know what it means. Might have been in one of Viggens archaeological posts.

The Roman relics found in Ireland amounted to nothing more than evidence for trade with Roman Britain; I have got evidence, but I cannot find the damn journal that provided me with such lucrative information.