UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Anyone see the Ferrari in Ben Hur?

In the famous chariot race in Ben Hur a red Ferrari is supposed to be seen in the background and IIRC I read this in Asimov's book of facts. Does anyone remember seeing this? I would sure like to see a clip of that. I have been searching for it several times unsuccessfully

I'm pretty sure that's a myth. I think in Charlton Heston's or T. Gene Hatcher's commentary in the 2005 release of the 4-disc DVD collector's edition that story is debunked (along with the stories of anybody having been killed during the big chariot race).

If you haven't seen that DVD, I highly recommend it -- just for watching it along with film historian T. Gene Hatcher's brilliant (and entertaining) background commentary (intercut with Charlton Heston's commentary from a previous video release).

Just curious -- where did you see this in Asimov's Book of Facts? I have a copy of that book, and maybe I missed seeing a mention of the movie Ben-Hur in the "That's Entertainment" chapter, although I did see the book Ben-Hur is mentioned in the chapter titled "On Books".

-- Nephele

Here is a website that may amuse! http://www.nitpickers.com/ Here is a quote from the site: 'The red car is visible in all formats, I watched it long ago on the wide-screen version and then later on a VCD and you can see it clearly making a dust-tail through the desert in the background of the chariot race track. Was it the production vehicle or an animal caravan, I aint sure.'

Here is another amusing quote: 'The great chariot race in the movie is held in the Damascus area, this is because there was no arena for chariot racing in ancient Jeruselm. There is a problem with this though. Jerusalem was in the Roman province of Judea whearas Damascus was in the province of Syria. In the movie Pontius Pilate (Frank Thring) is clearly the governor of Judea yet he appears to be presiding over a chariot race in another province! Wouldn't the govenor of Syria preside over a chariot race in his own capital city? This is like the govenor of Michigan becoming the master of cermonies at a Football game at the University Wisconsin!'

...and yet another: 'Massalla is having a conversation with Judah, and tells him that two more legions are coming to Jerusalem apparently because Tiberius wants Judea to be a more loyal province. In fact, NO Roman legions were stationed anywhere near Jerusalem until the Jewish Wars in 69 AD. The fortress of Antonia was garrisoned by a small vexilum (detachment) most likely from any of the three legions based in Syria (XII Fulminata, III Gallica, or VI Ferrata). The rest of the soldiers would have been auxiliary soldiers of either Syrian or Egyptian nationality. Since Jesus was crucified around 29 AD, that makes for a bit of a problem.'

The site lists loads of other films and their continuity errors. Enjoy!

Edited by Northern Neil

Thanks for that link, Northern Neil! I can see I'll be spending a lot of time over on that site, as I lurve da moobies!

Interesting to see that even the nitpickers over there get nitpicked on some of their statements. Here are a couple of folks who took exception with the nitpickers who claim to have "seen" the red ferrari/truck/van/furiously pedaled tricycle...

62903 Myth

That aside, it has been widely discussed that this "nitpick" is, in fact, just a myth; one of several surrounding this movie. In fact, Charlton Heston himself debunked it on the special edition DVD set, so I'm kind of surprised that there are supporting comments that say they have actually seen it.

64398 Not True

Not only does the red van NOT appear during the chariot race, but its appearance would have been literally IMPOSSIBLE...since the background outside the arena is actually a mattte painting!(see the 1994 documentary, "Ben Hur: The Making of an Epic"). I know all things are possible in the movies, but I've yet to hear of a truck or van driving through a painting on glass!!

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele Carnalis

Ave Nephele

Maybe my memory fails me but I read the Book of Facts almost two decades ago, so you may be right - I may have read it somewhere else. Thanks for the input

The whole Ben Hur Ferrari thing reminds me of an enormous myth of my own that I perpetuated throughout my childhood. When I first saw Ben Hur (probably about the age of 8 or so) I was convinced that during the chariot scene Stephen Boyd was wearing a watch. (I think Stephen Boyd played Messalla, but I'll not swear to it) I told people this for years! Eventually, I sat down to re-watch the movie with my ex and prepared to astound him when Stephen appeared in his Swiss gem. Well, there he was wearing his leather wristlets and nothing more - and I had been absolutely convinced. Just shows how ones vision can play tricks. No doubt this was how the Ferrari got started. :D

Excellent point, Augusta, regarding how one's vision can play tricks on us, and then we perpetuate the stories that eventually turn into urban legends. Especially when it seems so likely that actors might carelessly forget to remove things like modern-day wristwatches when performing in a costume drama.

But there are at least three films that do validate the old "wristwatch story". At least, according to a fun little book titled Film Flubs: Memorable Movie Mistakes, by Bill Givens (Citadel Press, 1990).

The first is in Cecil B. DeMille's The Crusades (1935): "the king actually flips back his cape and looks at his watch!"

The second is in Cecil B. DeMille's (Cecil should've BEAT those actors with his riding crop) The Ten Commandments (1956): "when a blind man is seen wearing one on his wrist."

The third is in The Viking Queen (1967). The book doesn't identify the scene, but I have personal verification of that film flub straight from one of the actors from that movie -- Pat Troughton. I got to talk to dear old Dr Who #2 about it before he sadly passed away.

-- Nephele

Cecil should've BEAT those actors with his riding crop

Completely off-topic, but despite his formidable image, Cecil B. DeMille was reportedly a sweet and giving man with no violent history whatever (including any attached to his notorious riding crop). When he was an independent director, he was completely in control of everything, but he was also a master at motivating his actors through their pride rather than their fear. Anyway, sorry to go off-topic.

Cecil should've BEAT those actors with his riding crop

Completely off-topic, but despite his formidable image, Cecil B. DeMille was reportedly a sweet and giving man with no violent history whatever (including any attached to his notorious riding crop). When he was an independent director, he was completely in control of everything, but he was also a master at motivating his actors through their pride rather than their fear. Anyway, sorry to go off-topic.

Absolutely.

Which is why it would've been soooo unexpectedly entertaining if an enraged 75-year-old Cecil had suddenly leapt astride one of those "doo whut?" actors, BEATING him with the crop and riding him around and around the pyramids like a rented camel. Wheee!

I would've paid money to see that.

-- Nephele

Which is why it would've been soooo unexpectedly entertaining if an enraged 75-year-old Cecil had suddenly leapt astride one of those "doo whut?" actors, BEATING him with the crop and riding him around and around the pyramids like a rented camel. Wheee!

I would've paid money to see that.

Might have been more entertaining than "King of Kings"... :D