UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hadrian's Wall documentary

Pertinax

For UK residents , BBC 2 on Friday of this week (at 9.00pm) will be showing a Timewatch documentary on the Wall, its construction and how the troops lived and worked.

"The only Brittunculus on the Wall" was the phrase used to describe the presenter...Ill leave you to see if you get the joke.

My telly remains dormant at the best of times, but I will be switching on for this. I suppose I'll have to buy a license now...

Well photographed and unfussy , if it becomes available in the US via downloads on google id say it was a good intro for those who havent seen the Wall.Well made with an affection for the source material.Shame it wasnt a longer program.

I agree, great aerial shots and the special effects really brought home just how imposing and daunting for locals the wall must have been, but the most impressive part for me was the professor who for the past 30 yrs had been deciphering and translating the Vindolanda tablets.............how the hell did he do that! :smartass:

It's been a while since i've visited the wall, but after watching that i don't think it'll be too long before i venture north again.

BTW.... Brittunculus...... Couldn't have put it better myself :ph34r:

BLAST! I MISSED IT! Once again, my defective memory strikes...

Good section on Robin Birley at Vindolanda and the investigation into the tablets, but from 'Timewatch' I expected something a little more debate-starting or controversial. Most unfortunately seemed a little like a rehash of what is already common knowledge. But I guess anything historical on mainstream UK TV has to be welcomed.

I would have been happy to see more on the construction techniques, indeed that would probably merit a program to itself. Anyway it looked nice, that has convinced me to take a trip up there to get some more "dawn mist" shots.

BLAST! I MISSED IT! Once again, my defective memory strikes...

Same here! I was feeling tired so i went to bed earlier than usual...and I ended up missing the show. Hopefully Google videos will be kind enough to post the video in the near future.

Yes, I too missed the documentary