UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What germanic tribe do you like best?

Anthonius

The fierce Belgae, of course. Although I believe they were thought to be Celto-Germanic.

Anyhow, they made Julius Caesar's life very difficult for a while. Certainly did not go down without a fight. Go Ambiorix!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a bit of thought and reading up, I'd have to plump for the Batavians for the simple reason that they fought successfully alongside the Romans for many years and even provided a contingent for the emperors Horse Guard. There has also been numerous alters and tombstones found along Hadrian's wall.

"They furnished nothing to the Empire but men and arms" Tacitus.

Tacitus described the Batavians as the bravest of the tribes of the area, hardened in the Germanic wars, with cohorts under their own commanders transferred to Britannia. They retained the honour of the ancient association with the Romans, not required to pay tribute or taxes and used by the Romans only for war. Well-regarded for their skills in horsemanship and swimming, for men and horses could cross the Rhine without losing formation, according to Tacitus. Dio Cassius describes this surprise tactic employed by Aulus Plautius against the "barbarians"-the British Celts- at the battle of the River Medway in 43AD

The barbarians thought that Romans would not be able to cross it without a bridge, and consequently bivouacked in rather careless fashion on the opposite bank; but he sent across a detachment of Germanic tribesmen, who were accustomed to swim easily in full armour across the most turbulent streams. [...] Thence the Britons retired to the river Thames at a point near where it empties into the ocean and at flood-tide forms a lake. This they easily crossed because they knew where the firm ground and the easy passages in this region were to be found; but the Romans in attempting to follow them were not so successful. However, the Germans swam across again and some others got over by a bridge a little way up-stream, after which they assailed the barbarians from several sides at once and cut down many of them. (Cassius Dio, Roman History, Book 60:20)

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

The only good Germanic tribe is one decimated by the legions.

"Long, I pray, may foreign nations persist, if not in loving us, at least in hating one another; for destiny is driving our empire upon its appointed path, and fortune can bestow upon us no better gift than discord among our foes."

-- Cornelius Tacitus on feuding Germanic tribes, "Germania" (A.D. 98)

I, too, am a fan of the Batavi (the ancestors of the modern Dutch). The Dutch today are among the most tolerant (and tallest) people on the planet.

Who would have thought that this Germanic people would later in the 1600s become the center of tolerance and rationalism so important for the emergence of modern Europe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batavi_(Germanic_tribe)

guy also known as gaius

Here's a link on YouTube (that will be taken down soon, I'm sure) on a series about the Ancient Germanic peoples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55sR7_w0oDE

Here's a link on YouTube (that will be taken down soon, I'm sure) on a series about the Ancient Germanic peoples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55sR7_w0oDE

I believe that is this program: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KL3H1W/ref=cm_rdp_product

It looks interesting. I may buy the DVD, because, as you say, no doubt Amazon will take it down for copyright infringement.

I believe that is this program: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KL3H1W/ref=cm_rdp_product

It looks interesting. I may buy the DVD, because, as you say, no doubt Amazon will take it down for copyright infringement.

Sadly, it seems to be only available as a Region 1. Shame, it looks like just the sort of thing I'd have liked on my DVD shelf. You'll have to let us know what you think, Ursus.

Sadly, it seems to be only available as a Region 1. Shame, it looks like just the sort of thing I'd have liked on my DVD shelf. You'll have to let us know what you think, Ursus.

Nice video. Too bad it's region 1. Ghost, is your avatar Arturius?

Cinzia

Here's the entire quote from Tacitus that I totally enjoy:

Contiguous to the Tencterians formerly dwelt the Bructerians, in whose room it is said the Chamavians and Angrivarians are now settled; they who expulsed and almost extirpated the Bructerians, with the concurrence of the neighbouring nations: whether in detestation of their arrogance, or allured by the love of spoil, or through the special favour of the Gods towards us Romans. They in truth even vouchsafed to gratify us with the sight of the battle. In it there fell above sixty thousand souls, without a blow struck by the Romans; but, what is a circumstance still more glorious, fell to furnish them with a spectacle of joy and recreation.

May the Gods continue and perpetuate amongst these nations, if not any love for us, yet by all means this their animosity and hate towards each other: since whilst the destiny of the Empire thus urges it, fortune cannot more signally befriend us, than in sowing strife amongst our foes.

From this quote, it appears that Tacitus was invited to witness the destruction of 60,000 Bructerii by a coalition of Barbarian tribes who allied together "in detestation of [bructerii] arrogance, or allured by the love of spoil, or through the special favour of the Gods towards us Romans."

This passage both horrifies and haunts me. The scale of brutality of the Germanic tribes, even against each other, is unimaginable.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

The Langobards rock.

Yes, they did. They invaded Byzantine Italy in the 560s. Eventually, they founded a powerful Italian Kingdom, or two. Nowadays we associate the Lombards with the northwest of Italy, but in the early middle ages they also ruled in the south of the Italian boot. My grandfather's town of Capracotta was founded by these cultured barbarians.

Ghost, is your avatar Arturius?

Cinzia

Wow, I'd forgotten I'd set that little conundrum. The source was discussed in some length in this thread, so it's not much of a secret anymore. In fact, I seem to remember that it was won with almost indecent speed by Nephele. She won a guided tour of the Roman sites in Provence. Really! Ask her if you don't believe me.

With it now being a bit of an open secret, I've had to downgrade the prize to a guided tour of the Roman sites in Lincoln. In fact, I'd cheerfully show any UNRVian round the Roman sites of Lincoln, so it isn't much of a prize, really. It's just my way of giving something back. I think it's wonderful to be part of group of people that have favourite classical-era Germanic tribes . . . and I genuinely say that that with all respect and sincerity.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Why does the German group Rammstein conjure my ancestral fears of the Germanic barbarians, especially this song "Feuer Frei," meaning "fire at will" as in a battle setting?

:lol:

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

Ghost, is your avatar Arturius?

Cinzia

Wow, I'd forgotten I'd set that little conundrum. The source was discussed in some length in this thread, so it's not much of a secret anymore. In fact, I seem to remember that it was won with almost indecent speed by Nephele. She won a guided tour of the Roman sites in Provence. Really! Ask her if you don't believe me.

With it now being a bit of an open secret, I've had to downgrade the prize to a guided tour of the Roman sites in Lincoln. In fact, I'd cheerfully show any UNRVian round the Roman sites of Lincoln, so it isn't much of a prize, really. It's just my way of giving something back. I think it's wonderful to be part of group of people that have favourite classical-era Germanic tribes . . . and I genuinely say that that with all respect and sincerity.

I'm afraid I roam out of time and land in antiquated areas on occasion. Sorry <g> Your downgraded prize seems quite nice but alas there are few Roman sites in Chicago and Lincoln (unless you mean Nebraska and I know this is quite impossible) is much too far for me.

• 5 weeks later...

I must admit, I'm a little more interested in the history of the various barbarian tribes than roman history, and the poll about what roman city you liked best inspired me..

Sorry. I have recently been reading too much on the late Roman Empire and the many "barbarian" invasions.

The group Lacuna Coil is from Milan. For some reason, this group (and especially this song) evokes my fascination and terror of the invading Gothic peoples:

The singer Christina Scabbia's gothic dress and Gothic-Italian features are unforgettable. :yes:

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy