UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spittle

Vorenus dialogue mistake (series 1)

On an episode of season 1 Vorenus says, of Mark Antony:

"He negotiates with a whore and a dwarf at his side. The Gracchi, Marius or Cincinnatus would not disgrace themselves so..." (Words to that effect).

We could never figure out why the script writers had included the use of Cincinnatus, as he was a heroic character.

Could it be a mistake in that Saturninus would better fit the discription?

On an episode of season 1 Vorenus says, of Mark Antony:

"He negotiates with a whore and a dwarf at his side. The Gracchi, Marius or Cincinnatus would not disgrace themselves so..." (Words to that effect).

We could never figure out why the script writers had included the use of Cincinnatus, as he was a heroic character.

Could it be a mistake in that Saturninus would better fit the discription?

I'd rather that Cincinnatus is the only one who truly fits as an opposite of Antony. Both the Gracchi and Marius were not opposed to the use of whomever and whatever was available to reach their ends.

My point is that Cincinnatus had nothing in common with perceptions of the Gracchi or Marius whereas Saturninus did.

My point is that Cincinnatus had nothing in common with perceptions of the Gracchi or Marius whereas Saturninus did.

Ahh yes, I see your point, but Vorenus was attempting to relate people whose dignity was far above that of Antony. Rather than the Gracchi and Marius, I might have substituted a Scipio Africanus and perhaps Furius Camillus (or something to that effect).

Would it not have been Cinna instead of Cincinatus ? It would suit better as he was a noble demagogue which would chronologically fall in line with the two others, coming as he does after the rise of Marius...

I think all he was saying was that Cincinnatus, the Grachi, and Marius would not negotiate or govern with a whore and a dwarf by their side - that they had dignity and respect for the office. Their particular politics were beside his point.

Actually, Jordan, the opposite.

Vorenus was saying that Marius, tjhe Gracchi and Cincinnatus were bad but Antony was worse.

I wish I could find the original thread. I wondered if Cinna had been meant but had some convincing responses to eliminate the possibility.