UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Lupercalia

Tomorrow we have the Christian "festival" of Valentine's Day. I suppose I should say media-marketing frenzy.

The origin of the day is in the honouring of Lupercus, He who guarded the shepherd and his flocks from the commonplace wolves that inhabited the early Republican countryside, the festival being timed for the birth of early lambs.Meantime Juno as Juno Februarte was receiving homage as a promoter of romantic assignations, by way of the drawing of lots with the name of a suitable female persons....

The suppression of these two heathenish rites in the Christian era required a substitution of persons and festivities , the rather elemental Lupercalia (by virtue of its coincidental timing with a more sentimental ceremony ) was neatly submerged by the practice of drawing (at random) the name of a Christian saint (avoiding St Jesus as Northern Neil foolishly failed to do as new Governor of Homuncvlvm), and "emulating" the virtues of that saint for a whole year . No wonder that didnt catch on.

Later we have a transmutation back to the Junoesque ceremony as the Holy Catholic Church was unable to deflect its flock from productive carnality.

There are several potential Saint Valentine's , does anyone have a clue as to who might be the "best fit" for the re-branded festival?

There are several potential Saint Valentine's , does anyone have a clue as to who might be the "best fit" for the re-branded festival?

Historically, or selected from this forum? ;)

I can picture Marcus Antonius as an enthusiastic participant in a Lupercalia celebration, as described by Shakespeare in Act I, Scene 2 of his Tragedy of Julius Caesar:

CAESAR:

Calpurnia!

CALPURNIA:

Here, my lord.

CAESAR:

Stand you directly in Antonius' way

When he doth run his course. Antonius!

ANTONY:

Caesar, my lord?

CAESAR:

Forget not, in your speed, Antonius,

To touch Calpurnia, for our elders say

The barren, touch

St. Caligula of Brigantia? St. Ursus of the Stairwells? St. Nephele of the Dogs? St. Messalina of Nocera Inferiore?

Edited by Gaius Octavius

GO is in Zappa/Beefheart mode again I see.

Quite a digression betwixt the "christian" festival of smug kissing and teddy bears versus being scourged by naked drunken persons in the hope of encouraging fertility (and lustful engorgment) .As usual I see why Christianity is not quite as exciting as Paganism. I believe the festival did get rather out of hand in late Republican times, that a certain lustfulness overtook the solemn rites.

Nephele , a small fluffy spaniel would be quite sufficient, no need to disembowel the saluki.

• 6 months later...
Who gets to be the 2 Luperci? As a noble, devout polytheist, Ursus should be one at least...

Also, which one of Nephele's canines are we gonna sacrifice?

:)

I guess now is as good a time as any.

I am not as active on this forum as I was when I first joined, but I'm probably going to be around here a lot more.

My friend Rose and I perform regular Religio Romana festival celebrations that are 'mostly historic with a modern edge' (Lupercalia, Floralia, Vestalia, Bacchanalia, Neptunalia, Nemoralia, and Saturnalia). I usually make posts about them, complete with pictures, in my journal, and I used to post them in another forum, but they were not really in a good home there. I'm considering starting to post them here, where I can have a more focused audience, but as I said, they aren't state religion perfect, more of a modern interpretation with strong historic basis. For instance, we do not actually sacrifice a dog and a ram on Lupercalia, but we burn a straw effigy, and we do have two young men perform the Luperci duties.

Is anyone here open to this idea? Would you guys enjoy reading and seeing this sort of thing? We are always a little bit alone because we are not super historical, but I'm not 'Paganish" enough for the pagan forums either. I can post examples if anyone is curious.

Edited by Violentilla

For instance, we do not actually sacrifice a dog and a ram on Lupercalia, but we burn a straw effigy, and we do have two young men perform the Luperci duties.

Gets MY vote! :)

Is anyone here open to this idea? Would you guys enjoy reading and seeing this sort of thing? We are always a little bit alone because we are not super historical, but I'm not 'Paganish" enough for the pagan forums either. I can post examples if anyone is curious.

I would definitely enjoy reading these! Are you going to put them in your blog for the site? Because then you could have them collected all in one place. I really enjoy reading members' blogs. Just this morning I was enjoying one of Pertinax's regular, herbal pharmacology entries.

-- Nephele

Where does one obtain a goat-skin these days? Also, is it your interpretation that the celebrants of the Lupercalia wore an Optio-style wolf-skin, too?

Where I get mine!

http://claphamyorkshire.co.uk/amenities.html#Shopping

(Glencroft Sheepskins..all sorts of pelts , but no wolf im afraid).

Violentilla~

I have that exact same Jupiter statue on my altar!! :)

What is the purpose of the red string you have tied around him?

We use that Jupiter/ Zeus statue as out Saturnus statue for Saturnalia. The red wool is left on him all year and then he is freed for the evening of Saturnalia.

Edited by Violentilla