UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Jesus

Religious controversy sells well, so they might be up something big, worth millions of dollars and with self assured promotion. Smart guys :hammer: Most people don't know and don't care about evidence.

If Inquisition was around this guys would make documentaries exposing witches and heretics.

Now they pick on christianity :fish:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there an old Crusader from the Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword guarding the cave?

-- Nephele

:ph34r:

I blame the Pope. If the Inquisition still had any cojones, silly hoaxes like these either would not happen, or they would be "warmly" greeted. Very warmly indeed...

Go get 'em J.R. :angry:

:hammer:

Haven't people been finding Jesus, or at least his bones for at least a few centuries? Even all the way back to the Middle Ages.

Yes - all this reminds me somewhat of the Turin Shroud business several years ago - I don't know if anyone remembers? Tests were being carried on it to see if it was genuinely the shroud Jesus was allegedly wrapped in. I remember thinking at the time that of course it would not be proved to be so, but that would do nothing to alter people's faith. I really don't see what the point is of all these 'discoveries', but I don't want to get into a row with others to whom it means a lot, so I shall say nothing further as a courtesy to one and all.

All joking aside, what if they do prove it to be the actual coffin of THE Jesus Christ!

What would the implications be??

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Haven't people been finding Jesus, or at least his bones for at least a few centuries? Even all the way back to the Middle Ages.

eh ? when ? where ? any source ?

I suggest that this is a reference to Simony, (the marketing of "Holy Relics" ) as suggested here:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14001a.htm

the "true cross" and its fragments being a very marketable commodity.

Ave

Programme coming up on Discovery channel about the supposed remains of Jesus and immediate family

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/02/25/t...=20070225073000

I do try to keep and open mind about these things but I cannot help thinking that the evidence offered above is highly circumstantial. After all, Jesus, Mary, Judas, etc were hardly uncommon names in the Holy Land in the 1st Century CE and I don't think it's totally impossible for a family unit to have these names

well, I was reacting most especially with "JESUS' BONES". Simony is different thing.

I might be wrong (that's why I'm asking for sources), but as far as I know, no one ever shown up (except for the last ossuary affair of course) with a piece or bunch of bones claiming they were Jesus' ones. How could that be ?

I mean, just go back a few decades back, let's say a century when religious belief was a still bit more taken into consideration than today. Just imagine, someone showing up claiming ""hey lookit what I found, Jesus' bones, wanna buy ?" no one ever would have believed the guy(at best). In Christianity (and large part of the muslim Ummah as well), Jesus is considered to have physically ascended to heavens, thus leaving no body on Earth - so no bones to find !). Unless having absorbed some strongly mind alterating substances, no one would have ever claimed to have found'em...

More back in time, when Religion was truly ruling, that guy would have been chopped up to pieces.

Only in our very today's world when science is trying to impose its view of the world on traditionnal beliefs, such a thing can occur.

Of course, with Holy Relics (real or not) it's all different. Many things have shown up along the centuries definitely, bones and blood as well, but from Christian Saints, not Jesus !

hey, pretty interesting link Pertinax, thanx !

my, isn't that a bit too Hollywoodish ?

Edited by Ozymandias

All joking aside, what if they do prove it to be the actual coffin of THE Jesus Christ!

The implications are enormous GPM. We live in a world where many people believe their personal salvation is based on the resurrection of Jesus.

The implications are enormous GPM. We live in a world where many people believe their personal salvation is based on the resurrection of Jesus.

Now, how would one prove that? Maybe there will be a sign in the coffin stating God is in here?

The scoundrels will make millions out of this. The D.C. narrator will start every inane statement with an equally inane question - that is when it is not interfering with a commercial.

I saw him in my Fruity Pebbles I ate this morning!!!

I had a french fry that looked like him too!... oh wait... that was Grover Cleveland, 2nd term. Eh.