UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Imperial cult.

I would need some help concerning the imperial cult, the rise of it, how it was practiced and significance. The reason is that it's one of the subjects for my next exam (one of many subjects) and I'm having trouble finding good information on it (after 2 books on roman religion). Specially how they practiced it seems very confusing. The range is from Caesar to Constantine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, however I'm not having time to read any extensive work on it right now. Therefor I'm mostly looking for what you know, not books about it. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

I would need some help concerning the imperial cult, the rise of it, how it was practiced and significance. The reason is that it's one of the subjects for my next exam (one of many subjects) and I'm having trouble finding good information on it (after 2 books on roman religion). Specially how they practiced it seems very confusing. The range is from Caesar to Constantine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, however I'm not having time to read any extensive work on it right now. Therefor I'm mostly looking for what you know, not books about it. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

The imperial cult was an important unifying factor in the vastly undergoverned Roman empire. It was mutually beneficial for both Rome and its subjects. Most importantly, it was a focal point for loyalty to Rome and the emperor. For the provincial elites it also provided new opportunities for social advancement. Yet, despite it political significance, the imperial cult should not be simply dismissed as a political tool. In polytheistic Greece, it also did religious significance, since success was treated as commensurate with divine favour and patronage.

Take a look at this essay, it might give you a few pointers

http://janusquirinus.org/essays/Cult.html

Hope it helps.

Most useful essay thanks :rolleyes: Really helping me a great deal. Very good points there about how it started, and the significance.

I would need some more on how and when they did sacrificed. I'm getting the impression of organized cults that celebrated certain days (Birthdays etc of the imperial family) and a more personal side where you prayed for the emperors genius at your home altar?