UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Sceptre from Roman emperor exhibited

Finally they've put it on display! Shame that the base of spectre has rusted away, still the Earth orb on top is in good condition. Can anyone else make out the outlines of a continent on the orb, or is it just cracked?

I wish that they'll find an Aquila standard too, but my guess is that they were melted down if they were captured. The gold or silver would have been too precious.

From reading the news articles on this tremendous find I learned that the scepter is attributed to Maxentius because of the strata in which the treasure was found. Can anyone explain a little more about the dating of the find? I don't understand how certain one can be just on the evidence of strata. Is there a written record that also pinpointed the identify of the scepter's owner? What did the box look like? What was the condition of the silk that enveloped the scepter. Was there any inscription in the box, on the lid?

From reading the news articles on this tremendous find I learned that the scepter is attributed to Maxentius because of the strata in which the treasure was found. Can anyone explain a little more about the dating of the find? I don't understand how certain one can be just on the evidence of strata. Is there a written record that also pinpointed the identify of the scepter's owner? What did the box look like? What was the condition of the silk that enveloped the scepter. Was there any inscription in the box, on the lid?

No written records or inscriptions, the attribution is based on the fact that Maxentius was the only emperor who resided at Rome in the period apparently attributed to the place/layer the sceptre was found in. Maxentius did some major (re)building on the Palatine, which perhaps could be connected to the find.

If they had the slightest doubt as to the age of the piece, wouldn't they have carbon dated it?

That won't give a result that's accurate enough, there's usually a range of a few decades at least.

There's not much to radiocarbon date anyway, except the silk wrapping perhaps.

Is there a an image available of the box that contained the silk and scepter? What would silk look like after 1700 years?

Now thats the ideal artifact for dictators who would wish to rule the world or at least big part of it. Im sure that Hitler and 3rd Reich would get it to prove that their power is derived from Roman emperors.

My own proposal for Hollywood producers is: "Indiana Jones and the sceptre of Maxentius" :lol:

Spielberg! If you are reading it - Im ready to prepare the script. 1 million $ is my price!

Edited by Mosquito

LOL, you could write a spin off series and make millions like those endless Star Wars novels. Not that I've ever read any *cough*.

It's a very impressive find, though. And in rather excellent condition for the Palatine too.

Edited by bubbly*pop