UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Virtual St Paddy's Party!

Nephele

Ooh...I want in on this! This Saturday will be full of relaxing, I hope...with any luck, there will be few comments on the chapters, and the process will all but be complete! That's cause for a celebration, if any!

Nephele, do you still have my info? Or do you want me to send it to you again?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay, another colleen for the party! *Nephele places a shamrock wreath on DoL's head.* DoL, you shall be known as...

Shena O'Hara

hamahnoras -m +e

Shena (pronounced shee-na), Anglicization of S

Gaius Octavius and Gaius Paulinus Maximus, I think we should invite your ladies to the party. We could always use a few extra colleens...

G.O.'s lady:

Jesmaine Kilgour

mgalujimoerisen -m +k

GPM's lady:

"Flashy Arleena"

ehyrrnslaaafe -r +l

r90221.jpgr90221.jpgr90221.jpgr90221.jpg

-- Annella McPhee (aka Nephele)

feiertag-smiley-007.gifFlashy is grateful for the invite and would love to help out in any way possible, after a few Guinness and blacks she'll probably start living up to her name!feiertag-smiley-007.gif

P.S. Will all the colleens be wearing the out fits above?? :wub: :wub:

P.S. Will all the colleens be wearing the out fits above?? :wub: :wub:

No self-respecting colleen would be caught at the party wearing the same outfit that another colleen is wearing! They'll look more like this...

dolls-base95-doll84_3_3_2006.gifdolls-base95-doll85_3_3_2006.gifdolls-base95-doll86_3_3_2006.gifdolls-base95-doll87_3_3_2006.gifdolls-base95-doll88_3_3_2006.gifdolls-base95-doll89_3_3_2006.gifdolls-base95-doll90_3_3_2006.gif

Oh, and Octavia from HBO's Rome has RSVP'ed and will be coming to the party. I've had to Gaelicize her, though...

Fiona MacIvor

Octavia Minor -t +f

-- Annella McPhee (aka Nephele)

Yay, another colleen for the party! *Nephele places a shamrock wreath on DoL's head.* DoL, you shall be known as...

Shena O'Hara

hamahnoras -m +e

Shena (pronounced shee-na), Anglicization of S

Ok, after the past two weeks at work that I had, there will be some sampling of beer this Saturday. And then when I get up Sunday I should be in an excellent mood to judge the contest entries. :blink:

I wish all of you good times for the holiday. Slainte!

So thank you very much to the Irish and Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

St. Patrick was said to be a Romano Brit who was captured by the Scotti on one of their raids on the western coast of Britain. It has been suggested that the settlement could have been SEGONTIVM on the North Welsh coast. There is also a theory that he may have been abducted from one of the forts and settlements on the Cumbrian Coast, an hour's drive from where I live. To me this theory is more logical, as

* the Scotti Raided Northern Britain, hence the eventual rise of the Kingdom of Scotland, and

* The Cumbrian coast was far easier to reach than North Wales.

Northern Ireland is only about 15 miles from Southern Scotland, and the raiders could stay close to the southern coast of Scotland in their flimsy boats, eventually descending on West Cumbria with its poorly equipped Limitaneii and rich settlements. Crossing the Irish Sea to Wales, a far larger distance, would have been considered far too risky.

Do us Brigantians get a 'thank you'?? ;)

Edited by Northern Neil

I hope everyone had wonderful St. Patrick's Day.

I guess we lovers of Rome have very special reason to be gratefull to the Irish:

The Reapperance of the Texts of the Classics

So thank you very much to the Irish and Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

Ilian, you are becoming the master of useful links! Thank you very much for pointing out this informative article. I had always wondered how the texts had managed to come down to us.

Ilian, you are becoming the master of useful links! Thank you very much for pointing out this informative article. I had always wondered how the texts had managed to come down to us.

There are actually three major ways that the 'ancient texts' came back into Europe and lead to the Renaissance 'enlightenment':

--Irish (and other British) monasteries, both in the copying/maintenance of the texts as well as their bringing them along when establishing new monasteries.

--the Byzantine libraries, and when the Turks came crashing in, many Byzantines fled to Italy and brought their books with them.

--the Moors, upon taking over Iberia, brought much of their learning, wisdom and library with them, much of which consisted of Roman and Greek texts, often transcribed into Arabic.

There are other finds, naturally, but these three were the major viens that classical knowledge re-entered Europe and helped to bring about the 'end' of the Dark Ages.

I would like to know how the St. Paddy's Day parades went in London, Manchester, Brigantia, etc.? ;)

:ph34r:

If you want to read about the one in chicago I went to, read.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...p;showentry=707

I was going to post on St. Paddy's day but was outrageously sloshed. I left the drunk dialing to my drinking buddy. Neither of us needed artificial Irish names though, O'Dubhda and 0'Keane (these are the pre-Ellis island spellings of our surnames :huh: ) were good enough.

A tidbit: both my drinking buddy and I are descended from the brother of Niell, Niell of the Nine. It was us drunken louts who kidnapped St. Patrick in the first place so you all can start thanking me for the holiday :ph34r: .