UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Necessary Fiction (Episode 20)

Julia C

Well, now Octavian gets himself married to Livia without any marriage to Scribonia. I'm very miffed, needless to say.

Livia didn't look very nice either. She was very mousey and didn't have the sort of presence you might expect her to, even at that young age.

And what were the writers on when they decided to have Octavian become a sado-masochist? WHAT??

The last two episodes had better be worth it, though it seems that things are going to suddenly wrap up very quickly (especially since there's not going to be a third season...)

Despite almost giving up on the series last week, I decided a few more Sunday's wouldn't kill me.

Some random observations:

With each passing moment I hate the blank stare of the new Octavian with growing vehemence.

Like Julia I was disappointed by the introduction of Octavian's sexual deviance. Livia supplying him young treats is one thing, but this sado-masochism is just another example of an ever growing list of soap operish deviations.

Suetonius, Life of Augustus

But his amorous propensities never left him, and, as he grew older, as is reported, he was in the habit of debauching young girls, who were procured for him, from all quarters, even by his own wife.

I despise the fact that Atia is still alive.

Vorenus grows ever more pathetic, though at least his daughter's treachery was finally revealed. The resolution of the entire story line including the near death of "the 3rd man", Vorenus' confrontation of Vorena, the treachery of the collegia 'captains', and Pullo's ultimate victory was gratifying.

I still enjoy just about every scene with Antony. He is brilliant.

I guess the writers are probably hampered by various things - limited to cast on hand, quickly wrap up the series to a finale, ensure that viewer interest is focused on sex, shocking revelations, etc. etc.

Clearly, this is history twisted to suit HBO's vision of how it would have liked things to have actually happened, regardless of other historical sources which may exist.

I thought the bit about Octavian's need to whip Livia for sexual pleasure a little tacky but perhaps they wanted to show that he was, after all, a deviant himself at heart with a penchant for cruelty (his scene with Pullo, for example, where they torture Evander. Even Pullo, who is no stranger to blood and violence, balks at the cold ways of Octavian, pointing to his ruthless nature).

I think there is a clear underlying thread in the series, possibly an attempt to de-humanize Octavian, to show that he lacked some basic human qualities, falling way short of the greatness he aspired to.

I have a feeling that Atia will shortly be killed, possibly by Octavian (just a guess, based on how the writers are proceeding), which will reveal him to be the "monster" that he is in the process of becoming, in his quest for power. Maybe the writers want to convey a generic idea, using Octavian as a model, that absolute power is absolutely corrupt and that everything is permissible to a man who has it. After all, the concept of emperor is similar to that of god, but bereft of any kindness, which would be anathema to a despot.

In summary, I think the writers want to show that the real effect of the conspiracy against Caesar was to replace a benign ruler (tyrant would be a more extreme characterization of Gaius Julius Caesar) with a real tyrant, one who would change the world order forever, for centuries to come.

I'm not going to give up watching the series, I've just reached the point where I'm disappointed in it. It still has its moments--even in the last episode--but it's losing the great focus it used to have. I used to tell people, quite happily, that it was more accurate than most historical dramas--but it might lose that accolade soon.

At least the previews look interesting. The show shines when it sticks to politics, I think. Episode 8 was my favorite of last season, and so if we're going back to more of that then it could be fun. I did like the scene where Octavian threatened Antonius, after all.

It would have been better if they didnt make season 2. Rome would become legendary show but now they screwed everything. It almost looks like season 2 was being made by completelly different people than season 1, only actors remained the same. Script writers of season 2 deserved the death on cross. Any of us would make it better.

Kill all the poor writers! :)

I've pretty much decided at this point, from the opinions of people whose views I trust, that I shall not be buying the second season DVD (though I won't throw it away if a relative gives it to me as an XMass present). It's really a shame, as the first season held so much promise.

I finally got around to watching Episode 20. It wasn't that bad; it just wasn't that good either. I really don't know how they managed to blunder the drama associated with Antony's exodus from Rome, which is just about the only historically important event that occurred. Oh, and Livia was introduced. Given how non-plussed she seemed to be at the moralistic ravings of her sadistic betrothed, I'm sure she'll be the Livia we all fear and dread know and love.

Oh, and Livia was introduced. Given how non-plussed she seemed to be at the moralistic ravings of her sadistic betrothed, I'm sure she'll be the Livia we all fear and dread know and love.

When Octavian offered Livia the roast quail and she daintily bit off its HEAD, I suspected that was a hint of the Livia to come.

Historical faux pas aside, I nevertheless am still finding this series

The last two episodes had better be worth it, though it seems that things are going to suddenly wrap up very quickly (especially since there's not going to be a third season...)

So, that's it for ROME, after the next two episodes?

As much as I disliked the way this season has been unfolding (as many of you have noted, in a very

"soap-opera-ish" way) it's better than having nothing "Roman" on TV, besides on the History Channel.

ROME is certainly better than The Sopranos. At least it imparts some history, twisted and compressed as it may be for TV reasons.

So they have to get Actium, Antony and Cleopatra's suicide, all that stuff done in a measly two episodes?

bah-humbug!

ah well...it was great while it lasted-too bad we won't get to see Tiberius' villa in Capri.

saluti