UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Where were the Scythians?

Does that mean that the peoples of the Caucuses are the descendants of this band of people? I'm sure there are many other factors interrelated, too.
Yes, many other factors so the answer is yes & no...

My main point in regards to bringing up central Asian history was to highlight the endless waves of peoples from the east pressuring people of this region west (& northwest & southwest) into Eastern Europe & Asia Minor... So yes, there are bound to be some decendants of the Scythians there but *probably* more are to be found now in the Ukraine, Moldavia, Romania, Bulgaria, etc... Does that make sense?

My main point in regards to bringing up central Asian history was to highlight the endless waves of peoples from the east pressuring people of this region west (& northwest & southwest) into Eastern Europe & Asia Minor... So yes, there are bound to be some decendants of the Scythians there but *probably* more are to be found now in the Ukraine, Moldavia, Romania, Bulgaria, etc... Does that make sense?

So they are a European race that came from Asia?

Somewhere I read that the Basques are from that area (Armenia?). Then there are the Albanians.

As I said in another thread, there are DNA studies which link (how strong of a link, I cannot recall) the Basques to the Caucuses. BUT...IIRC, the Basques, both genetically and linguistically (and I'm positive of the latter) are a homogeneous group who are very different than anyone else in Europe or Western Asia.

I read a theory that Euskera (the Basque isolate language) was the last remaining Neanderthal language.

I'm doubtful about that but I know its a big mystery.

I read a theory that Euskera (the Basque isolate language) was the last remaining Neanderthal language.

I'm doubtful about that but I know its a big mystery.

Be very doubtful...as far as I know, there isn't even conclusive evidence that the Neanderthals had a language.

Some equate scythians with their succesors sarmatians and alans because they seem different federation names for largely the same people.

If this is true it means that alans and sarmatian yaziges spreaded scythian genes thruout Europe even to North Africa. And alans were the direct ancestors of today Caucazian Ossetians

"The linguistic descendants Alans, living in the autonomous republics of Russia and Georgia, speak the Ossetic language, which belongs to the Northeastern Iranian language group, being the only remnant of the Scytho-Sarmatian dialect continuum which once stretched over much of the Pontic steppe and Central Asia. Modern Ossetic has two major dialects: Digor, spoken in the western part of North Ossetia; and Iron, spoken in the rest of Ossetia"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alans#Medieval_Alania

Does that mean that the peoples of the Caucuses are the descendants of this band of people? I'm sure there are many other factors interrelated, too.

Yes, many other factors so the answer is yes & no...

I think you have it right. The Steppe People tended to migrate further and further west. The Huns, we all know ended up in Central Southern Europe, and ultimately settled in Hungary. Next the Avars went west, but I don't know much about them, just that they fought the Carolingians, who were quite west. Later the Polovtsians were pushed west when the Mongols came, ending up in Hungary, many of the Cherniy Kobluki went North with the "forest" Russians. The Turks went South and West into Anatolia and ultimately into the Balkans. Some of the Cossacks settled in the Ukraine (the Zaparozhian Sich). The only group of Steppe People, it seems, that didn't settle in the west were the Mongols, who largely retreated further and further East.

I think the list is rather exhaustive. I'll bet that at some point the Sythians moved into and settled somwhere in Eastern Europe. There is no evidence to support this, but it would fir the pattern.

On a side note, didn't the Parthians come from the Caucausus?