UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

I feel I must hand this over to Wotwotius; If he hadn't said Augustus' Mausoleum, I wouldn't have guessed the city.

I thought I'd just a add a fast note on the mausoleum of Augustus. It's interesting to know that it was one of the first large buildings that was ordered to be built by Augustus even before actium. Scientists believe that this was a statement that "This is where I belong" by Octavianus, in contrast to Antonius will that revealed his wish to be buried in Alexandria. Therefor it was very much in fact a political move from Octavianus side. When it was complete in 28 BC it was also seen as a monument of his triumph over Antonius, and as one of the two domination buildings in the city at this time. The other one Octavianus temple of Apollo at the Palantine, it was surly seen as a sign of his political domination and power to restore the city to the old good glorious days.

Originally it was 80 meters wide and about 40 meters high build in bricks covered in marble, plants and treas in the center of a large garden.

Yes, the Mausoleum implys that Octavian, unlike Antony, had not succumbed to the whims of the East. Although that being said, the Eastern influence in the Mausoleum's architecture is indeed very apparent. One must keep in mind that after Octavian returned from his Actium campaign (29 BC), he had seen much of the Eastern world (Octavian had personally conquered Egypt in 30 BC and had seen much of Asia Minor) and this gave him an opportunity to absorb the grandeur of the region's architecture.

As for my image, I cannot seem to be able to upload it, so I am going to have to PM Maladict the link.

Edited by WotWotius