UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

Caesarea NOT originally Phoenician? The architecture certainly looks Phoenician (that stone in particular).

Here's the first Google-hit for the above image of Caesarea. I'm guessing this is the one WW used since the image size is identical.

Now note what the page says about the history of Caesarea:

Initially,
Caesarea was a Phoenician site in the Persian period
(6 to 3rd C BC). The Phoenicians, the maritime merchants of the ancient world, used the natural bays and the nearby rivers in order to establish a port, one of many ports that they set up along the shore stretching from Tyre down to Gaza. The city flourished at the Greek period. Later, in the Roman period, King Herod created it into one of the largest cities in the Roman World, and called it after his patron, Augustus Caesar. The site was an important Roman city, and played an important role in the history of Ancient Israel. It later decayed after the Arab conquest, and returned to glory with the Crusaders. After their retreat the city was left in ruins, and its stones were reused in buildings throughout the region.

Come on, guys, we can't guess the ancient city from bad clues!

Caesarea NOT originally Phoenician? The architecture certainly looks Phoenician (that stone in particular).

Here's the first Google-hit for the above image of Caesarea. I'm guessing this is the one WW used since the image size is identical.

Now note what the page says about the history of Caesarea:

Initially,
Caesarea was a Phoenician site in the Persian period
(6 to 3rd C BC). The Phoenicians, the maritime merchants of the ancient world, used the natural bays and the nearby rivers in order to establish a port, one of many ports that they set up along the shore stretching from Tyre down to Gaza. The city flourished at the Greek period. Later, in the Roman period, King Herod created it into one of the largest cities in the Roman World, and called it after his patron, Augustus Caesar. The site was an important Roman city, and played an important role in the history of Ancient Israel. It later decayed after the Arab conquest, and returned to glory with the Crusaders. After their retreat the city was left in ruins, and its stones were reused in buildings throughout the region.

Come on, guys, we can't guess the ancient city from bad clues!

For Goodness sake, there is no need to bite my head off. Besides Caesarea was a Phoenician site; it only really became a city under Herod, hence its namesake. This is, after all, only a game...

Edited by WotWotius

For Goodness sake, there is no need to bite my head off. Besides Caesarea was a Phoenician site; it only really became a city under Herod, hence its namesake. This is, after all, only a game...

No worries... I wrote this post before I had my AM coffee and was still very cranky. :P