UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Maladict

Guess the ancient city!

Only another quarter hour to go! Heart pounding! Then the Klingon gets another crack at it. Milan? The place where Diocletian parked himself? Novo Cartago?

It's from the middle eastern provinces, that should help you quite a deal I guess.

Ps. A friend who knows nothing about history managed to find it with the help of Google in less then 1 hour. He's an internet maniac thou...

Mosquito, ne me pica pas. The Klingon said that it wasn't in Rome.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

It's Baalbek, isn't it? A temple, of Venus I'd guess, but I could be wrong.

Definately Baalbek, though.

Correct very nice ;)

It's the tempel of Venus at Baalbek in the province of Syria, built in the first half of the 3rd century ad in Serverian baroque style. Whats quite special about this temple is the entablature and base that are curved into the cella walls from the columns.

Your turn!

It's the tempel of Venus at Baalbek in the province of Syria, built in the first half of the 3rd century ad in Serverian baroque style. Whats quite special about this temple is the entablature and base that are curved into the cella walls from the columns.

It's a spectacular little building ;)

antiochie3.jpg

The columns are part of the city's forum. The building in the background is there to help you out.....a little bit.

I'm off to bed, back in about 6 hours with a hint if necessary. Happy guessing!

I know where it is, but I guess I'll give someone else a chance first this time ;)

Antioch?

No. I can't believe you fell for it :suprise:

;)

Hint: It was listed as one of the nine largest cities by a contemporary author. That should narrow it down a bit.

Edited by Maladict

Well, on the ground of architecture I afraid that Im a complete ignorant. I can tell the difference between circus and aqueduct or temple but thats all.

LOL - same here. I can tell the difference between Ionian, Doric and Corinthian columns and I know what a caryatid is - after that, I'm sunk.

Florence? (ancient name: Florentia)

-- Nephele

This is a great thread, but "You are a bad one, Mr. Maladict." :lol: Make sure that it keeps going! ;)

:ph34r:

This is a great thread, but "You are a bad one, Mr. Maladict." ;) Make sure that it keeps going! ;)

:lol:

Just following the rules.... :ph34r:

DL the picture you wish to use, rename it and upload it to an image hosting site.
Edited by Maladict