UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Primus Pilus

March 07 Essay Entry

Another worthy essay.

One question I had about it concerned the tribunate from 133 to 43. The essay implies that the tribunes' power grew too strong during this period. But how? Certainly none of their official powers grew; during the royal rule of Sulla, they actually declined. This leads me to think that another explanation for their disruptiveness is required. Isn't it possible that the tribunes played a more disruptive role over time--not because their powers grew, but because they increasingly ignored the vetoes of their fellow tribunes and increasingly often appealed to the military to buttress and finally replace their own role? It appears to me that the independence of the tribunate declined, and it was this decline in independence that undermined their ability to serve their vital role in protecting popular sovereignty, until at last it withered to nothing.

Indeed Cato! The power of the tribunes did not grow in a constitutional sense during that time period, rather, it was their influence that grew through the abuses of the office by some notable individuals in that period (The Gracchi, L. Appuleius Saturninus, P. Sulpicius Rufus , P. Clodius Pulcher - just to name a few :furious: ). They increased their influence by ursurping new privileges under the pretense of inviolability or legislating in arenas never intended for their purview or using their access to the people to openly forment revolt. Perhaps some of these abuses as I have called them were not illegal, but they broke with tradition, which in the Roman world was on equal footing with the law. They would never had dared encroach in some of these areas had the unchecked increase of their power brought internal conflict to the tribunate and made it susceptible to corruption.

Some of these abuses were motivated by demagoguery and others by bribery. They may have been under the guise of popularity, but as you said...these abuses did little to further the interests of the people they were empowered to protect. Instead, by compromising their office the equality they were supposed to ensure made them open to attack and condemnation and thereby making their role obsolete and increase the propensity for disparity instead of equality.

If you were to list 'good' tribunates and 'bad' tribunates, how would your list look, and what would make each tribune's tenure good or bad? Seems to me that focusing only on seditious tribunes has a rather distorting effect on how we view the office.

If you were to list 'good' tribunates and 'bad' tribunates, how would your list look, and what would make each tribune's tenure good or bad? Seems to me that focusing only on seditious tribunes has a rather distorting effect on how we view the office.

You make a fair point. I do not mean to focus on the negative per se, unfortunately it seems that in these later, most critical stages of the Republic, the actions of the "bad tribunes" outdid much of the progress made my their predecessors and their contemporaries. The tribunate was the foundation on which much of the constitution of the Republic was built and refined and for some 360 years I think the tribunate brought nothing but more glory, prestige, and most importantly legitimacy to the Republic.

It is also because the bad is often better remembered than the good that the names I mentioned above dominate the official mention of the tribunes. However, to bring some parity to the matter, I will compile a list of "good tribunes" as well that helped make the Republic what it was.

To add two 'good tribunates' (whether the men were good or not): Gaius Licinius Stolo and Lucius Sextius. They opened the consulship to plebeians.

To add two 'good tribunates' (whether the men were good or not): Gaius Licinius Stolo and Lucius Sextius. They opened the consulship to plebeians.

Worthy additions for sure. It is also easy to add Gaius Canuleius who made way for patricians and plebeians to inter-marry, Gaius Papirius Carbo whose law offered franchise to the Italians after the social war, and let's not forget Gaius Epidius Marcellus and Lucius Caesetius Flavius who had citizens arrested for calling out "Rex" to Caesar as he walked by. :furious:

In fact, after only 10 or so minutes looking up some of the more significant pieces of legislation or other achievements during the Republic it is easy to see the names behind them are usually tribunes.

So again, as I argued in my essay, there were many successes and failures of the tribunate. The names of the of the sincere are sometimes obfuscated by the names of the insincere, but I do not mean to undervalue their importance.

This was excellent, Publius - and as I told you, the title grabbed me from the start - clever use of phrasing there in your subtitle, highlighting the ambiguous role played by the Tribunes in the history of the Republic. You brought out fully how the post could be abused by the unscrupulous, while also arguing for its beneficent role too. I want to return to this later after a re-read, as I think all of us have a great interest in the history of the Tribunate. Great stuff!

In fact, after only 10 or so minutes looking up some of the more significant pieces of legislation or other achievements during the Republic it is easy to see the names behind them are usually tribunes.

Right, but if you look at a list of significant legislation, you're almost bound to find the successful tribunes. What of the tribunes--like Livius Drusus--who proposed legislation that was designed to help everyone yet failed? Or the tribunes who played a beneficial but non-legislative role (e.g., Cato in the Catilinarian conspiracy)? A good long list of exemplary tribunes would be nice to have on hand.

Augusta-

Thanks again...I indeed chose the tribunate for my theme because I too wanted more and I thought it was a great way to learn. I am glad it lived up to your expectations.

Cato-

Indeed, I shall continue to build upon this list. In fact, a more in depth profile of the tribunate is part of a project I am working on and I think a list of worthy and not-so-worthy tribunes would make a fine addition. I will let you know as I make more progress.

I concur about Livius Drusus. He is an excellent example of a Tribune working within the system and using the office for the greater good: The Senate AND people of Rome. There are times when I wonder what impact his legislation would have made had he lived and legislative package come to full fruition. The Social War would most likely have been avoided, maybe the persistent land issues would have been settled to everyone's favor, perhaps Sulla wouldn't have been able to use the Social War to propel himself down a path of discontent...ah, to dream, nonne?

An excellent essay Severus, I found it very informative, the tribunate played a major part in the ups and downs of the republic and I for one will look forward to your list of worthy and not so worthy tribunes.