UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ursus

Ursus' 5 favorite Roman resources

1) My favorite book on history & politics: Rubicon by Tom Holland.

Covers everybody's favorite topic - the Fall of the Republic - in a prose more reminiscent of creative fiction than historical analysis. Simply delightful as the Roman Republic and its personalities come to life. And to think this guy used to write Vampire novels.

2) My favorite book on the legions: The Roman Soldier by G. R. Watson

I am not a military man, and discussion of pre-industrial martial tactics means about as much to me as a discussion on Etruscan augury would mean to most of you people. But this book looks at the Roman soldier from a humanistic perspective - what he felt and experienced from recruitment to discharge. A wonderful cultural study of the soul behind the scutum and gladius.

3) My favorite book on culture and daily life: Handbook to life in Ancient Rome by Adkins and Adkins.

A wonderful general survey on all aspects of Roman civilization by two professional archaeologists. A handy reference guide for those in the know, or a nice intro to those not in the know.

4) My favorite media presentation of Rome: "Rome" 1st season DVD by HBO-BBC.

I hear the second season was a bad soap opera. Too bad. The first season, whatever its faults, was a triumph. British acting, American production, Italian scenery - you can't beat the combo. A more or less serious attempt to look at Pagan Rome. Hail Posca!

5) My favorite guilty pleasure on Rome: Roman Sex by John. R. Clark.

Two of my favorite subjects - Sex and Ancient Rome - dovetail nicely in this study. Wonderful illustrations. The sexuality of pre-Christian civilization is beyond the ken of most moderns. A fascinating look at an oft overlooked aspect of our cultural forebears.

Great List Ursus. I have to agree that Handbook to life in Ancient Rome is an excellent resource. The amount of information they manage to squeeze into a relativily small book is astounding. It's always handy having the book at hand to check up a quick reference.

Edited by DecimusCaesar

Well, it's tone-lowering time again... I have Rubicon, which I enjoyed. But I also have Roman Sex. Although it only seems to confirm what I already knew or seriously suspected, it was still good to see it all in print! I find myself vindicated. :) Hehe - I always think it looks like a very cheeky sort of coffee-table book that should be left lying about to encourage conversation between guests. My history bookshelf is actually in the lounge, and it is amazing how many friends who turn up for parties or whatever study my shelves. Their eyes are always drawn to the deep bottom shelf and that book, but they don't dare to pick it up. Instead, after staring at it for a few moments, they turn to something harmless like The History of Lancashire or Manchester in the Victorian Age instead.... Next time, I swear I'm going to leave it out - and I do have a coffee table to put it on!

I must make an attempt to acquire the Adkins and Adkins, however. As for military, I am not an afficionado by any stretch of the imagination, but I do still have an old, battered copy of Warfare in the Ancient World by John Warry that came free with one of those initial selections from an ancient history book club years ago. I think this book is highly under-rated - especially for beginners. The illustrations are wonderful, and the historical narrative acceptable, and my son has learned so much about the battles of the ancient world by constantly going back to this book through the years. He absolutely loves it.

1) 'The Archaeology of Roman Britain' by R.G.Collingwood and Ian Richmond. I got this as a christmas present in 1975 and still have it.

2) 'Britannia' by Sheppard Frere. The author stayed at my mum and Dad's house in '74, and I have a signed copy!

3) 'Rome in Africa' by Susan Raven. Great dialogue and pics.

4) 'The Towns of Roman Britain' by Wacher. I have just acquired a copy from Pertinax. Wow!

5) In anticipation, 'Roman Sex'. I will now log on to Amazon... :)

1. A History of the Roman People, Ward and Yeo

2. The Western Way of War, Victor Davis Hanson

3. Chronicle of the Roman Republic, Matyzak

4. The Rise of the Roman Empire, Polybius

5. Anthing by Plutarch