UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
M. Porcius Cato

Metropolitan Museum of Art

In today's NYT, there is a nice spread on the newly renovated Greek and Roman Galleries at the Met. It looks much better now that they've moved the cafeteria out of there.

Yep! I posted about this a few weeks ago in the thread about a possible NYC UNRV Meet-up, including the write-up from the Met website. The Met's cubiculum from Boscoreale had been closed for years, and that was always one of my favorite exhibits at the Met. But now, now only is it restored, moved to this new wing and again open, the Met now has another cubiculum -- Agrippa's "Black Bedroom".

I'm going tomorrow to the exhibit! I'll take pictures (if they let me) and post them in the Gallery.

-- Nephele

I'm going tomorrow to the exhibit! I'll take pictures (if they let me) and post them in the Gallery.

Look forward to it. Agrippa's "black bedroom" looks stunning, and I can't wait until my next trip to NYC to see it in person.

Look forward to it. Agrippa's "black bedroom" looks stunning, and I can't wait until my next trip to NYC to see it in person.

I just now rang up the Met and found out that photographs will be allowed for the new exhibits. I shall definitely take a mess of photos tomorrow! I imagine that Northern Neil will want to see pictures of the Black Bedroom for modeling inspiration. :unsure:

-- Nephele

I just now rang up the Met and found out that photographs will be allowed for the new exhibits. I shall definitely take a mess of photos tomorrow! I imagine that Northern Neil will want to see pictures of the Black Bedroom for modeling inspiration. :unsure:

-- Nephele

We can't wait, Nephele. I never got to see that part of the museum when I was in NYC as I'm sure it was closed for renovation or something. (This happens to me quite a lot, believe me.) Hehe - I can definitely imagine Agrippa in a black bedroom! Now he needs a Goth name. Over to you for a scramble, Nephele.

I never got to see that part of the museum when I was in NYC as I'm sure it was closed for renovation or something.

I don't think you would have liked it Augusta: no portraits of Cicero. :unsure:

Hehe - I can definitely imagine Agrippa in a black bedroom! Now he needs a Goth name. Over to you for a scramble, Nephele.

Of course that black bedroom of his suggests that Agrippa would make an excellent ancient Roman goth. Okay, through the magic of the Ars Magna, I anagrammatically transform...

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa

into...

P. Vampirius Scaripaganus

And, since you asked for him, Augusta, he's your date for the night. You may bring him over to the Imaginary Party thread and do with him what you will. :whip:

-- Nephele

I never got to see that part of the museum when I was in NYC as I'm sure it was closed for renovation or something.

I don't think you would have liked it Augusta: no portraits of Cicero. :unsure:

They have a bust of him - in the cellar. :)

As promised, I've posted in the Gallery my pictures that I took today (April 21, 2007), in the new Greek and Roman Wing of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.

Unfortunately, Agrippa's Black Bedroom was too dark, and flash photography wasn't permitted. However, you can see a picture of the Black Bedroom frescoes on the Met's website here.

What better way to celebrate the Parilia (birthday of Rome), than a trip to the Met to see the new Greek & Roman Wing? :ph34r:

-- Nephele

Hella cool pics, Nephele. When I went to the Prado in 2003, they had several pieces of Roman statues and marble work sprinkled all throughout the museum (as I recall, there was an 'Antiquities' room, but there were many works all over). I was just amazed...not just by the workmanship, the expressions, and by the life-like qualities, but by the fact that for so long European society 'forgot' how to make artwork like this. Oh how I wish I could go to the Met and see that exhibit for myself! Thanks for the pics!