UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Egyptian Conservationists Fight To Protect Dwindling Mummy Population

This, of course, is alarming news, but there is a ray of light. In 1955(AD), Boris Karloff set up a fund to provide for any disoriented mummies wandering to the shores of America. One hospice was endowed at the Brooklyn Museum and another at the Atlanta Southern Cultural Center. Another hospice is in the building at an Omaha, Nebraska, site which is more conducive to their present situation.

I'm doing my part to "Save the Mummies!" I participate in New York's Metropolitan Museum's "Adopt a Mummy" program, and my adopted mummy is named Muntuhotep. My monthly donation goes towards his supply of tannis leaves, as well as keeping his canopic jars tidy.

-- Nephele

So Muntuhotep can 'guard his amulets in peace' Nephele? :blink:

This is our humble goal. I briefly considered joining People for the Ethical Treatment of Mummies, but the fact that they are opposed to keeping mummies as pets just put me off them.

-- Nephele

As long as Rameses the Great is safe and sond, I'm cool. ;)

In all seriousness though it is good for the Egyptian government to protect and preserve their history. Perhaps the Persians should learn from them? Either way these ancient mummies are an integral part of Egypt and having it disappear for future generation would be awful.

Although it is quite ironic how these very people sold these artifacts and now they want them preserved and back in Egypt. :oops:

Edited by Rameses the Great

So Muntuhotep can 'guard his amulets in peace' Nephele? :angry:

This is our humble goal. I briefly considered joining People for the Ethical Treatment of Mummies, but the fact that they are opposed to keeping mummies as pets just put me off them.

-- Nephele

You can always put a leash around RtG's neck.

• 2 weeks later...

This is terrible. With the acccent on saving the enviroment and wildlife in it, has no-one thought seriously of saving the Mummies? I suggest legislation to bury people in egypt in the time-honoured fashion so later generations can tomb-raid and evade their curses.

PS - I know what you're thinking... That wasn't what I meant :D

I am afraid this is just another example of scaremongering journalism. There is absolutely no evidence that the mummy population is dwindling. There is a centre in London's Westminster where many can be seen on a daily basis, flicking imaginary dust from their wrappings and making incoherent sounds.

I am afraid this is just another example of scaremongering journalism. There is absolutely no evidence that the mummy population is dwindling. There is a centre in London's Westminster where many can be seen on a daily basis, flicking imaginary dust from their wrappings and making incoherent sounds.

That's good to know Augusta, because one of my favorite pass times is grabbing hold of flapping bits of bandage on mummies then giving it a good yank so that the mummy spins round and round until all your left with is a pile of bandages and bones! :D

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Yes but these are Mummies in captivity. We need to preserve Mummies in the wild, in their natural enviroment ;)