UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Three Books is all it takes to...

Viggen

So, maybe this sparks an interesting thread...

...the basic idea is to name 3 books that (you read of course) will help someone to either understand a particular topic, to spark interest, to get new insight, to change your views, to take to an island etc...

The focus is obviously the classical world, but world history, archaeology in general will do of course as well...

The title plus the author and a short snippet why you need that particular book will do, the titles dont have to be in order of importance but there need to be three...

have fun

viggen

Here an (not so seriously ment) example how i imagine how this format should work...

These three books is probably all it takes to make your mum sign up at Unrv.com (to find out more about romans)

Roman Cookery: Ancient Recipes for Modern Kitchens

It worked with my sister who loves cooking, the recipes are easy to follow and not all that difficult to prepare

First Man in Rome

Just say this is from the author who wrote thorn birds, thats all that is needed, the excellent novel will do the rest...

I Wonder Why the Romans Wore Togas

Very nice childrens book for 4 to 6 years old, and oh well, this is a double score, not only your mum but also your litte brother/sister gets hooked.

Here's mine:

1) Eagle of the Ninth (Rosemary Sutcliffe) Great exciting story for children, this book also describes Romans as people just like us. Not always an obvious concept to a young reader!

2) Atlas of the Roman World (Tim Cornell and John Matthews) This 'coffee table book' combines excellent illustrations with a narrative that has more depth than similar books, and does a good job with respect to informing the casual reader that the Empire went on after Augustus, Nero and Hadrian.

3) The Roman Empire at Bay AD 180 - 395 (Davis S. Potter) An excellent book looking in depth at the Empire from its high point at the end of Marcus Aurelius' reign to the eve of collapse on the accession of Honorius.

As this does not have to be purely Roman:

Fire from Heaven - Mary Renault. The story of Alexander's formative years - beautifully written and imagined. I've read it at least a dozen times and it certainly stoked my own interest in Alexander, whom I wasn't much interested in until I read this novel. If anyone wants an example of how a historical novelist takes a reader into a world rather than just leaving him to watch a history pageant pass by, Renault's work is not to be missed. Her work only makes me regret that she did not write about Rome.

One that may surprise you all: John Prebble's trilogy: The Highland Clearances, Culloden and Glencoe - a fascinating, accessible insight into a turbulent period of Scottish history. Take any one of these books on a holiday trip to Scotland and read them against the magnificent backdrop of some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. You may never be the same again.

Siren Land by Norman Douglas. Many of you may not know this either. An evocatively written travelogue in which the author guides us through the Classical world of the Mediterranean, revisiting the places of the myths and legends and enjoying convivial company and good food and wine. It is a book to whet ones appetite for the Classical world. When I read it, I can remember thinking that it was a book Maecenas would have commissioned!

Some excellent titles mentioned already, (especially Eagle of the Ninth), The Atlas of the Roman World sits by my right foot as we speak an indispensable work.

My suggestions are:

Around the Roman Table by Patrick Faas

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Around-Roman-Table...7087&sr=8-2

witty, erudite and eye-poppingly entertaining. One might perhaps say this epitomises the "decadent" Rome of hollywood , but the book is a sensual rollercoaster ride.And the recipes are great.

On the Psychology of Military Incompetence by Norman Dixon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-Militar...7261&sr=8-1

a modern era analysis, but universal applicability. For the thoughtful student of War.

Rubicon by Tom Holland

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubicon-Triumph-Tr...7476&sr=8-1

OK its an easy call , but this is an excellent popular approach to the late Republican era.

May I be indulged and give three further titles for "younger " readers?