UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Latin Inscriptions Translations

Ioannes Magnus

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a book or other resource with the translations of the Latin Inscriptions found in the major or popular sites in Rome, i.e. obelisks, arches, churches, etc.

There is not much on the net that I can find.

Can anyone give me any leads.

Thanks so much,

Ioannes

It is rather rare that epigraphic inscription get translated, and I know of no book collecting such translations... At best should you have the CIL number of your inscription you could look for them in Annee Epigraphique review or something similar to see if it has been translated, but it would be a long shoot.

Another suggestion - although it's rather long-winded - is to write to the individual sites, or tourist boards responsible, to see what literature they produce. Guide books bought at the famous sites often include rough translations of the more important inscriptions at least. Might be worth a shot. Otherwise, like Bryaxis, I am at a loss to suggest much, Ioannes - sorry.

You may find this link helpful for translations: Latin Inscriptions at LacusCurtius:

You may find this link helpful for translations: Latin Inscriptions at LacusCurtius: “There are at least 200 Etruscan and Roman inscriptions on this site, plus a fair number of Latin inscriptions from other periods. This page is intended to help you find them.”

-- Nephele

Thanks for this very helpful link, Nephele. I never knew it existed. I have used Lacus Curtius a lot in the recent past, but this link had eluded me.

Edited by The Augusta

• 2 months later...
I Annee Epigraphique review or something similar

Do you know if there is anything online as yet. I have got to trawl through stuff at random at the moment looking for stuff relating to land ownership. Has any kind soul made the sorting of the CIL their life's work yet

The lazy and opitimistic grad student strikes again

I Annee Epigraphique review or something similar

Do you know if there is anything online as yet. I have got to trawl through stuff at random at the moment looking for stuff relating to land ownership. Has any kind soul made the sorting of the CIL their life's work yet

The lazy and opitimistic grad student strikes again

Unfortunately you won't find anything really good on the Internet, even in books inscriptions are rarely translated. Best you ca hope is that some anglo saxon scholar wrote a book on "the ownership of land set in stone" or something like that, but I know of none. Books by Salmon might hold some clue in their bibliography but I would'nt be 100% affirmative.

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a book or other resource with the translations of the Latin Inscriptions found in the major or popular sites in Rome, i.e. obelisks, arches, churches, etc.

There is not much on the net that I can find.

Can anyone give me any leads.

Thanks so much,

Ioannes

I can't help with all the major sites within the boundaries of the Roman Empire, but this website may well be of some use to you if you are an avid fan of Roman Britain.