UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Tablets tell all: ancient athletes flogged for sins

We might misbehave a bit more!

Seriously though, the athletes of Rome haven't received much attention, I suppose because as lesser forms of life they don't warrant much attention. The flogging seems a bit harsh given the susceptibility of these men to injury, but then, as a deterrent and a motivational factor I guess it works!

We might misbehave a bit more!

Seriously though, the athletes of Rome haven't received much attention, I suppose because as lesser forms of life they don't warrant much attention. The flogging seems a bit harsh given the susceptibility of these men to injury, but then, as a deterrent and a motivational factor I guess it works!

You are very wrong saying that because many scholars have studied the athletes quite closely those last few years because of their professional organisation from the hellenistic times to the roman days, for they had built quite a powerfull guild with direct access to the Emperor for exemple. Unfortunately I don't have the references under hand but if I remember well Otto van Nees ( or something like that ) has just published a book on the subject and some of the conferences in the Brussel's 2007 seminary on the ancient professional associations were about the athletes.

You are very wrong saying that because many scholars have studied the athletes quite closely those last few years because of their professional organisation from the hellenistic times to the roman days, for they had built quite a powerfull guild with direct access to the Emperor for exemple.

I stand corrected :rolleyes: