UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Greek History.

WotWotius

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good, bare-bones reference book on Ancient Greek history in its entirety. I am not looking for a vastly interpretive angle; I only want a book detailed to the extent of giving me a good overview. Does anybody know of any?

Great suggestions, Ursus. For Greek social life and customs, I'll just add to the list a book by the author of my old favorite, A Day in Old Rome.

And that's A Day in Old Athens: A Picture of Athenian Life, by William Stearns Davis [Professor of Ancient History at the University of Minnesota] (New York: Allyn and Bacon, 1914).

This book describes "what an intelligent person would see and hear in ancient Athens, if by some legerdemain he were translated to the fourth century B.C. and conducted about the city under competent guidance."

You can download this book for free at Project Gutenberg

-- Nephele

Ancient Greece: From Pre-Historic to Hellenistic Times by Thomas R. Martin is a good generalist introduction.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I think that I will go with the book by Martin.

Edited by WotWotius