UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Interesting Find

May some of our esteemed Latin users take a peek at this and tell me if it's for real? If so, I'm going to take a serious look into this!

What exactly are we peeking at, AofS?

-- Nephele

May some of our esteemed Latin users take a peek at this and tell me if it's for real? If so, I'm going to take a serious look into this!

What exactly are we peeking at, AofS?

-- Nephele

;) Wow I totally forgot the link! Silly me and being distracted!

Latin- The Easy Way

Thank you my dear Nephele.

Just the webpage actually has nothing new. It's another way of describing subject-object-verb word order and the concepts of case and gender. I didn't go to the second lesson, but I imagine that it's more of the same.

Thanks for the link to Latin made easy site! It serves as a good review of Latin 1. Anyone know of a good site that gives instruction in Vulgar (as in popular speech) Latin?

I don't know about a website (I'd be interested in that!), but the general work that I use to look up information on the subject is Veikko Vaanaanen's 'Introduction to Vulgar Latin'; it's been published in French and Spanish, and I imagine in other languages (I have the Spanish version, 1988, Gredos). It's a linguistic book, so some knowledge of linguistics is required, but it's overall a solid reference for Vulgar Latin. I usually back that up with Josef Herman's (2000) Vulgar Latin (Penn State Press); this is an updated version of his French volume of the same name. This also requires some knowledge of linguistics, but is a short overview of the language.

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I was actually thinking about writing up some basic Latin lessons to post on this very site. I took a quick look through the link AofS posted, and I think whoever did that made things more complicated than they have to be. Would anyone be interested in such a thing?

You know, I was actually thinking about writing up some basic Latin lessons to post on this very site. I took a quick look through the link AofS posted, and I think whoever did that made things more complicated than they have to be. Would anyone be interested in such a thing?

Salve Skiman.

Yes definitely, my Latin is pretty much non existent so every little helps.

After looking around online for Latin language learning materials, I discovered there wasn't a lot available, so I've recently set up the Latinum Podcast, which now has many hours of spoken Latin on it for download, including language lessons.

25 000 file downloads last month, this month will be even higher it seems.