UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Random Beer Discussion

Moonlapse

just as long as you remember that real beer should never be served very, very cold! It should be kept in a cold cellar - that's the trick!

What is this real beer?

LOL - anything brewed north of Watford in England. London may be our capital but its breweries are rubbish. Real beer consists of the bitter variety or the mild variety with a very frothy head. We also allow Irish stout to come into the realm of acceptance. The watery substance that passes for beer in Europe and the US (Stella Artois, Budweiser etc) is actually lager. :shocking:

Ahh ok. I'm partial to American microbrews, porters, stouts, black ales, and various Belgian beers - especially Trappist ales. I like to drink beer cool to lukewarm because I think its much tastier and headier. Ice cold beer doesn't have as much taste. Budweiser would have to be quaffed ice cold because it tastes like urine.

"Will there be beer?" --Homer Simpson

I'm a beer snob...just like I'm a booze snob and a wine snob. I've yet to have a bad Sam Adams brew, regardless of the type (currently imbibing a White Ale, and it's damn yummy); Harp is a stand-by. Local brews of Gordon Birsch, Anchor, and Sudwerk are always welcomed in my fridge.

As for temp...I like for it to start cold...it doesn't have to stay that way. I'm a slow drinker ;)

In the summer time there's nothing better after a hard days work than to sit in a beer garden drinking a pint of extra cold lager, there's no better thirst quencher anywhere, the only trouble is....... one leads to two.....two leads to three........ three leads to four........ and before I know it I find myself banished to the spare room!! :D:D

In the summer time there's nothing better after a hard days work than to sit in a beer garden drinking a pint of extra cold lager, there's no better thirst quencher anywhere, the only trouble is....... one leads to two.....two leads to three........ three leads to four........

And four lead to a headache. This days my favorite thrist quencher it's limonade...

Of course, with some vodka or rum inside :D

Beer it's great and I like it blonde, strong and cold. It must have at least 5% alcohool.

Lagers? (And that from you, GPM - you should wash your mouth out!). By Bacchus - you're all amateurs! Call yourself beer drinkers. Get a pint of Robinson's down you, dammit! :thumbsup: One of the best beers in Britain, but very hard to keep. Pubs that keep a good 'Robbie's' are famous in these 'ere parts. My dear Doc - you call yourself a beer snob? You need a night out with yours truly - lol

Ahem - and now that we have explored this little bibulous byway - are there any new members who are awaiting welcome on the thread? :angry:

Edited by The Augusta

I like to drink beer cool to lukewarm because I think its much tastier and headier. Ice cold beer doesn't have as much taste. Budweiser would have to be quaffed ice cold because it tastes like urine.

To quote Michael Jackson (the Beer Hunter not the Freak):

"The worst two phrases in the English language are 1. 'Coldest Beer In Town' and 2. 'Last Beer Until Dry County'..."

:thumbsup:

And talking beer I raise a glass of this to our recent recruits:

http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/mostpopular....uirrel_beer.php

its NOT actually made of squirrels .Tastes good

Lagers? (And that from you, GPM - you should wash your mouth out!). By Bacchus - you're all amateurs! Call yourself beer drinkers. Get a pint of Robinson's down you, dammit! :thumbsup: One of the best beers in Britain, but very hard to keep. Pubs that keep a good 'Robbie's' are famous in these 'ere parts. My dear Doc - you call yourself a beer snob? You need a night out with yours truly - lol

I do enjoy stout...but it is truly a meal in a glass. Doesn't lend easily to a night of multiple beerage (well, for me at least).

Now, I fully admit that I am but a novice in the area of beer. I am willing to lend myself to you, dear Augusta, for a further education. Hopefully in York!

Guinness is quintessential, and I shall drink it at every opportunity on draft.

Secondary beers that come in bottles include Yuengleng (a Pennsylvania special) , Sam Adams, Honeybrown, and Michelob's Amber Bock.

The ideal beer is much like the ideal woman: mysterious but inviting, thick in the right places and light in others, and neither overly cheap nor unaffordable.

Boy, as a Canadian I almost feel offended that no one has mentioned our hearty Canadian Lagers, Ales, etc. ;)

Some(but not exclusively) of my favorites:

1) Moosehead(love the name), very smooth with some heartyness.

2) Molson Export Ale, what a bite!, almost reminds me of that Scottish(?) Ale Mac Ewans(spelling?)

3) Schooner(from the Maritimes)

4) Lakehead Lager

5) And my all time favorite, that is no longer brewed, Barley Sandwich(true name). The name says it all.

Don't get the impression I tip my glass too much, I'd just as soon recline with a good Roman vino... :lol:

Cheers

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My brother and I are now trying Fat Tire's summer selection: Skinny Dip. It's similar to regular Fat Tire, but I taste a lot of it on the front (not tip) of my tongue...definitely a light, crisp ale. The label says that "Cascade hops frolic with a splash of kaffir lime leaf creating a bright, citrusy palate that's as crisp as chilling in a mountain pond." I don't know about that, but as a 'light' beer goes, it's not bad. I prefer Sam Adams Light for light beer, personally...specifically because it doesn't taste 'light' or watered down. But this is a close second.

Next up: Sam Adams Summer Ale (and, yes, I'm a Sam Adams fan!)