UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Surgical Instruments

Pertinax

I have previously blogged and added gallery images regarding Roman surgical instruments .

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...=si&img=920

Today however I felt an especial need to give one set of instruments a special mention, those for the cauterisation and removal of troublesome haemerroids.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1789

My friend John the Medicus is holding all the needful items here. In his right hand we see the actual extractive pliers , but the most needful tools are in his left hand. The large angled pliers are to be heated to as high a temperature as possible , then inserted into the affected area via the short cone of ram's horn (to protect the patients soft tissue and the surgeons hand), once the offending items have been given a smart nip with the heated pliers extraction may proceed. Henbane and opium anyone?

Yeeoow indeed. We have no indication of any statistical work on possible fatalities, but given that the instruments are a relative commonplace many Romans must have been sitting on soft cushions.It seems plausible to me that despite the likelihood of "discomfort" , if cauterisation was effected properly and reasonable attention (to the standard of Legionary medicine ) was taken to dress the trauma site then survivability might be very high . I hope that shock was obviated by the use of opiates or hycosine..

If you click on my msn "Triclinium" link picture 12 of the LEG II Bremmetenacum album shows the instruments in greater detail :shocking:

Thank you ASC for both of those , especially the Hippocratic fragment.

Galen insisted that any Doctor worth his salt should be able to dexterously deal with fistulae as part of his normal work, obviously at this time the rate of infection of such growths would exceed modern day levels because of the lack of antibiotics .What strikes me every time I look at the "workday" writings is the emphasis on eye problems and fistulae of various types.

Thank you ASC for both of those , especially the Hippocratic fragment.

Galen insisted that any Doctor worth his salt should be able to dexterously deal with fistulae as part of his normal work, obviously at this time the rate of infection of such growths would exceed modern day levels because of the lack of antibiotics .What strikes me every time I look at the "workday" writings is the emphasis on eye problems and fistulae of various types.

My pleasure.

I can imagine ancient Roman doctors brusquely telling their patients to "take it like a Roman".

Thanks for the images of those surgical instruments, Pertinax! I especially liked the blood-splattered costume on your friend, John the Medicus. I presume he's dressed as a battlefield physician?

-- Nephele

I can imagine ancient Roman doctors brusquely telling their patients to "take it like a Roman".

Thanks for the images of those surgical instruments, Pertinax! I especially liked the blood-splattered costume on your friend, John the Medicus. I presume he's dressed as a battlefield physician?

-- Nephele

He is indeed, if you look again at my re-enactment gallery you will see him casually eaten lunch whilst a passing Germanic Legionary points out a particularly gruesome leg fracture...

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1798

John also makes an appearence in my msn photo gallery blog in recent and previous LEG II galleries.

He is indeed, if you look again at my re-enactment gallery you will see him casually eaten lunch whilst a passing Germanic Legionary points out a particularly gruesome leg fracture...

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1798

Funny picture, Pertinax: "The stew here is good, but I'll have the leg of man."

-- Nephele