UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Summorum Pontificum, 7/7/7

According to Wikipedia:

Summorum Pontificum (Of the Supreme Pontiffs) is the Apostolic Letter of Pope Benedict XVI issued motu proprio which grants greater freedom for the celebration of the "Missal promulgated by John XXIII in 1962", otherwise known as the Tridentine Mass, and the pre-Conciliar forms of the sacraments.

The document was released on July 7, 2007, along with a letter in which Pope Benedict explains his reasons for widening the celebration of the 1962 Missal. Its date of implementation, moreover, has been set for the following September 14 (Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross)

Now priests needn't ask for permission to recite their ritual apology, Conf

Edited by M. Porcius Cato

The greatest potential change will come on "Good Friday", when a prayer for the "perfidis" (faithless) Jews may revert to:

"Almighty and everlasting God, you do not refuse your mercy even to the Jews; hear the prayers which we offer for the blindness of that people so that they may acknowledge the light of your truth, which is Christ, and be delivered from their darkness."

Nice. Actually, Mel Gibson & Co. can knock themselves out with their prayers, as far as I'm concerned. Just as long as they leave me the hell alone.

-- Nephele

Okay, you knew I had to anagram him. Because all is revealed in anagram:

Joseph Alois Ratzinger = "I, Joe Nazi, halt progress."

-- Nephele

The Italians call the new pope "il pastore tedesco." The pun works in English, too.

The Italians call the new pope "il pastore tedesco." The pun works in English, too.

"The German Shepherd"?

But... I like dogs. ;)

-- Nephele

"The German Shepherd"?

But... I like dogs. ;)

-- Nephele

Yes, that's what my Catholic cousin, an Italian in Italy, calls him. Ratzinger's policy is to negate the Vatican II Council.

Edited by Ludovicus

I suppose that a good agnostic statement would be that you can never make any religious statement without hurting someone's sensibility.

Or irritate the crap out of someone with sheer stupidity.

And it doesn't just apply to religion, either. It's the same puerile mentality of my religion/nation is more moral than yoooo-urs.

-- Nephele

I suppose that a good agnostic statement would be that you can never make any religious statement without hurting someone's sensibility.

Some religious statements are clearly more offensive than others. Look at the three different prayers used:

1: "Almighty and everlasting God, you do not refuse your mercy even to the faithless Jews; hear the prayers which we offer for the blindness of that people so that they may acknowledge the light of your truth, which is Christ, and be delivered from their darkness."

2: "Almighty and eternal God, long ago you gave your promise to Abraham and his posterity. Listen to your church as we pray that the people you first made your own may arrive at the fullness of redemption."

3: "Almighty and everlasting God, you do not refuse your mercy even to the Jews; hear the prayers which we offer for the blindness of that people so that they may acknowledge the light of your truth, which is Christ, and be delivered from their darkness."

Obviously #2 is less offensive than #1 and #3. As an atheist, I find them all silly at best, but at least #2 hasn't the scent of Auschwitz floating about it.

Some religious statements are clearly more offensive than others. Look at the three different prayers used:

1: "Almighty and everlasting God, you do not refuse your mercy even to the faithless Jews; hear the prayers which we offer for the blindness of that people so that they may acknowledge the light of your truth, which is Christ, and be delivered from their darkness."

2: "Almighty and eternal God, long ago you gave your promise to Abraham and his posterity. Listen to your church as we pray that the people you first made your own may arrive at the fullness of redemption."

3: "Almighty and everlasting God, you do not refuse your mercy even to the Jews; hear the prayers which we offer for the blindness of that people so that they may acknowledge the light of your truth, which is Christ, and be delivered from their darkness."

Obviously #2 is less offensive than #1 and #3. As an atheist, I find them all silly at best, but at least #2 hasn't the scent of Auschwitz floating about it.

Salve! Sorry. I am certainly no catholic and I hate the pope. But those are my own private opinions and I don't talk about them because I understand some people migth differ. I only comment here about them because I don't want any misunderstanding. In fact, I suppose that my point has been stated. The only thing I don't want to do here is to offend anyone. If that was the case, my sincere appologies.

Addendum: look for the meaning of "agnostic" in theology.