UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Gladiator Truths Counter Movie Myths

Hmm , what exactly constitutes a "violent lifestyle"?

A couple of questions comes to mind...starting with the last point brought up by Caldrail: the vegetarian diet shocks me not only because of barbarians who are trained to be gladiators, but the issue of protein. I would think that protein-rich diets would be available--granted, not at the same rate as now, but to a degree--so that the gladiators could maintain their strength. I'm not saying they'd have beef every day, but I would think that there would be more protein in their diet? Either they ate a whole lot of legumes, or something's not quite right to me.

Also, the alcohol issue: What other pain relievers would be used besides alcohol? Self-medicating, as it were, has been around as long as alcohol itself.

Salve, guys!

Cal... WOWWW. What an ordered and thorough commentary!

BTW, I am one of those mewbies.

The issue of hte height could have been biased (vg, because of the sample size).

Maybe tall barbarians with linguistic problems would have been bad candidates for training.

Whatever it means, I am sure a violent lifestyle has nothing to do with your growing potential.

Contrary to common belief, vegetarian diets could be very high in protein.

5 feet 5 inches tall :lol: ?? That totally changes my image of gladiators. And I thought I was short....

Bring 'em on! No problem for this 5' 4" lady! Give me a 5' 5" vegetarian health-obsessed wimp to fight any day! ;)

On a more serious note, however - it did strike me when reading the excerpt above that there must have been quite a large percentage of the population whose diet was mainly vegetarian in any case! Wasn't meat a bit of a luxury? And do we know if this special diet was just pre-fight? Rather like today's footballers who are not allowed to drink Coke or have certain foods 2 days before the Saturday fixture etc?

Any thoughts on this?

And Caldrail - I think you and I have had a chat about the 'average Roman height' thing before. If the average height was 5' 4" - why did Suetonius go out of his way to say Augustus was a small man at 5' 7" ? I think these 'averages' are always a bit misleading. I mean - is the average taken of all Romans, male AND female, for instance? If so, including female height would no doubt have an effect on the mean height of all? Do we know if the skeletons of many gladiators have been found? Over to you, Caldrail, as our expert on the mean man machines! :)

A couple of questions comes to mind...starting with the last point brought up by Caldrail: the vegetarian diet shocks me not only because of barbarians who are trained to be gladiators, but the issue of protein. I would think that protein-rich diets would be available--granted, not at the same rate as now, but to a degree--so that the gladiators could maintain their strength. I'm not saying they'd have beef every day, but I would think that there would be more protein in their diet? Either they ate a whole lot of legumes, or something's not quite right to me.

The vegetarian diet was more or less universal during the ancient times. It wasn't just gladiators who ate just about nothing but vegetables, it was the same with the common people. Bread was the base diet and beans was very common. Meat was a delicates and for most people the best way to get some was to attend at religious ceremonies where the sacrifice was given to the attendants.

[On a more serious note, however - it did strike me when reading the excerpt above that there must have been quite a large percentage of the population whose diet was mainly vegetarian in any case! Wasn't meat a bit of a luxury? And do we know if this special diet was just pre-fight? Rather like today's footballers who are not allowed to drink Coke or have certain foods 2 days before the Saturday fixture etc?

No. The veggie diet wasn't concerned with protein, it was just that barley has the property of making men beefier, fatter, and encouraging muscle mass. The layer of fat was considered a good defense against minor sword cuts hence desirable for professional fighters. Gladiators had one opportunity to eat meat and that was the dinner the night before the fight, in which the lanista gave his men a send-off in great style. However, for those gladiators who were allowed to leave the barracks, there was nothing to prevent them eating take-aways with meat in them. What the lanista would have said when he found out is another matter!

And Caldrail - I think you and I have had a chat about the 'average Roman height' thing before. If the average height was 5' 4" - why did Suetonius go out of his way to say Augustus was a small man at 5' 7" ?

Roman measurements. And suetonious is referring to the idea that a leader must be a physically impressive person? Nonethless, remains dug up at pompeii and other places suggest that average roman height was 5'4" for men and a mere 5' for women. Sorry Augusta! But at least you may console yourself that your regal bearing is indeed above others!

Do we know if the skeletons of many gladiators have been found? Over to you, Caldrail, as our expert on the mean man machines! :lol:

yes. An entire graveyard at ephesus, containing more than 80 expired fighter.

Edited by caldrail