UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Boycott against tourism in Libya?

"Libya has freed six foreign medical personnel who were convicted of infecting hundreds of Libyan children with HIV and sentenced to death. In jail since 1999, the five Bulgarian nurses and one Palestinian doctor arrived in Sofia, Bulgaria, today. The president of Bulgaria, Georgi Parvanov promptly pardoned them.

All six have maintained their innocence throughout. They have also claimed that they suffered torture to extract confessions. International HIV experts testified at the trials that the infections began before the six arrived at the Benghazi hospital. They said the infections were more likely the result of poor hygiene.

Last week, Libya lifted the death sentences following a US$460 million financial settlement, which works out to US$1 million to each HIV victim's family. However, Libya insisted on further concessions on relations with the European Union and aid.

A deal between the E.U. and Libya, mediated by Qatar, ended the diplomatic standoff. The foreign minister of Libya, Abdel Rahman Shalgham said the E.U. promised to provide "life-long treatment" to the infected children, as well as aid to "improve the Benghazi hospital" where the children were infected. Further, he claimed that deal will allow for "full cooperation and partnership between Libya and the European Union."

"We hope to go on further [in] normalising our relations with Libya. Our relations with Libya were to a large extent blocked by the non-settlement of this medics issue," said Jos

How much I'd ever love to visit the ruins there, it's no way in hell I'll go anywhere near that country boycott or not.

How much I'd ever love to visit the ruins there, it's no way in hell I'll go anywhere near that country boycott or not.

Flavia Gemina was in Libya last year, doing research for one of her books. Flavia -- did you have any scary experiences there? Were you given any warnings before going, regarding what you should or should not do or say while there?

-- Nephele

... Flavia -- did you have any scary experiences there? Were you given any warnings before going, regarding what you should or should not do or say while there? -- Nephele

Not really scary experiences, but I didn't enjoy it half as much as I enjoyed Morocco, which is still very un-Western but wonderful to explore. Libya seemed drab and lifeless, the children hostile, the men suspicious, the women veiled and inscrutable. Wonderful monuments, but poorly-cared for. Give me Golden Italia any day!

You can read a short illustrated account on my BLOG here...

Flavia

P.S. I should add that we went with a reputable guided tour with a British lecturer, accompanied by Libyan guides and a member of the Libyan tourist police, who was with us at all times and did all the talking at the many checkpoints.

Some people obviously enjoyed Libya and were coming back for a repeat visit. Several said the quality of the hotels had improved in just a year or two.

What is clear is that Libya is not quite ready to embrace the fat, rich, Western tourist!

Edited by Flavia Gemina