UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Book List Recommendation

Ursus

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget to read Ammianus Marcellinus for the end of the empire and the reign of Julian the Apostate. I also like Florus because his stories are so over the top; and of course, any of the French Asterix comic books by Goscinny and Uderzo. If you must get only one, get Asterix Legionary. The more Roman history you know, the funnier it is.

Ave !

Three more books that I would like to recommend:

Neos Dionysos mentioned in another thread an excellent book that I had read a while ago, but had forgotten. Failure of Empire: Valens and the Roman State in the Fourth Century AD by Noel Emmanuel Lenski is an excellent book about the times of the emperor Valens and Valentinian I, focusing on Valens.

Theodosius: The Empire at Bay by Stephen Williams and Gerard Friell is a good book about the reign of Theodosius I and the ramifications of his actions, particularly on the western empire

The Emperor Maurice and His Historian by Michael Whitby is about the reign of Emperor Maurice in the sixth century, and his chief historian, Theophylact.

• 3 weeks later...

'In the Name of Rome' by Adrian Goldsworthy is another good book, as it's a biography of the various generals and soldiers throught Roman history.

I also like the Chronicle series of books, published by Thames & Hudson. They have two books, one about called 'Chronicle of the Roman Emperors' by Chris Scarre, and the other is about famous Senators, Generals and other figures of the Roman Republic by Phillip Matyszak called 'Chronicle of the Roman Republic'.