UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rameses the Great

Ptolemaic-Carthaginian Relations

Hello, I'm back. :) I had a question that I wanted answered for an awful long time on Ptolemaic and Carthaginian relations. Little is mentioned about these two powers however, they were the two dominant forces in North Africa and I'm wandering what they felt about each other. Clearly the Ptolemaic Empire was concerned about it's provinces in the Middle East rather then the rest of Africa but they probably did here about each other's affairs, wars, and trade.

Although very unlikely they were at war with each other were they ever involved in a type of naval or military engagement with or against each other? How did both feel about a power across the continent? Did they feel threatened or were they allied in times of hardship i.e. Punic Wars?

Where's Pantagathus when you need him? ;)

anyone? You guys can close it if you like. :)

anyone? You guys can close it if you like. ;)

Salve, RG!

Well, to begin with, here comes an article on Ophellas by Jona Lendering:

"(c.355-308): Macedonian officer, served under Alexander the Great... After the death of Alexander, Ophellas sided with Ptolemy, the new satrap of Egypt ... In 323/322, a Spartan mercenary leader named Thibron had arrived in Cyrenaica, a group of five Greek towns in Libya. He carried with him a large treasure: all Babylonian taxes of the years 330-325. This was sufficient to start a small kingdom, and he had some success. However, the native Libyans appealed to Ptolemy, who recognized an opportunity when he was offered one: he immediately sent Ophellas with a small army to the west, to support the Libyans and occupy Cyrenaica. It was (probably) Ophellas' first independent command, but he was successful: in the winter of 322/321, Thibron was executed, and Cyrenaica and the Libyan tribes allied themselves to Ptolemy. Moreover, the treasure was sent to Egypt... Ophellas remained in Cyrenaica as Ptolemy's viceroy... He was certainly independent in 309, when he allied himself to Agathocles, the tyrant of Syracuse...

In the summer of 311, the Carthaginian general Hamilcar, had won such a complete victory over Agathocles, that he was able to proceed to the siege of Syracuse. Although this city was strongly fortified, Agathocles had no effective army, and he had decided upon a desperate gamble: in August 310, he had sailed away from Sicily, and had invaded the Carthaginian homeland, Africa (modern Tunisia). Here, he won a brilliant victory, and he proceeded against Carthage itself. At this stage, he concluded the treaty with Ophellas. The ruler of Cyrenaica was to bring new soldiers, and in return would be made Agathocles' governor at Carthage... Ophellas recruited many mercenaries, especially from Athens, and started his march to Carthage in the late summer of 308. Two months later, he arrived in Africa. Almost immediately, the two commanders started to quarrel, and Ophellas was assassinated in November... However this may be, Ophellas' mercenaries had little choice and sided with Agathocles, who left them behind, returned to Sicily, and concluded a peace treaty with Carthage that left him in control of Sicily east of the Halycus. The mercenaries, left alone, were killed by the Carthaginians."

Sequitur I hope this stuff may be useful.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

As you can see, the critical region between Carthage and Alexandria was the Cyrenaica, which itself was sometimes part of Egypt, sometimes an associated kingdom.

Here comes once again Jona Lendering:

"...He (Ptolemy) sent his general Ophellas, who restored order and united all towns in one single province (322). From now on, Cyrene and the Cyrenaica were part of the Ptolemaean empire, although there were periods of independence. At this time, there were five important towns, which were called the pentapolis.

Cyrene (Shahhat) Barca (Al-Marj) Euesperides (Bangh

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

Thank you A. This is very interesting.

It seems that Ophellas marched thru the desert (probably on the coast) and the trip was two month long. There is no mention of carthaginian resistance but for sure was something between Leptis and Carthage.

No camels at this time. Probably he had some ships with supplies.

I would love to know more about this expedition.

Salve!

This is pre-Ptolemaic, but the story of the Philaeni brothers might be of some interest:

Here comes Sallust, Bellum Jugurthinum, Ch. LXXIX:

"Since the affairs of the people of Lepcis have brought us to this region, it seems fitting to relate the noble and memorable act of two Carthaginians; the place calls the event to mind. At the time when the Carthaginians ruled in the greater part of Africa, the people of Cyrene were also strong and prosperous. Between that city and Carthage lay a sandy plain of monotonous aspect. There was neither river nor hill to mark the frontiers, a circumstance which involved the two peoples in bitter and lasting strife.

After many armies and fleets had been beaten and put to flight on both sides, and the long struggle p301had somewhat wearied them both, they began to fear that presently a third party might attack victors and vanquished in their weak state. They therefore called a truce and agreed that on a given day envoys should set out from each city and that the place where they met should be regarded as the common frontier of the two peoples. Accordingly, two brothers were sent from Carthage, called Philaeni, and these made haste to complete their journey. Those from Cyrene went more deliberately. Whether this was due to sloth or chance I cannot say, but in those lands a storm often causes no less delay than on the sea; for when the wind rises on those level and barren plains, it sweeps up the sand from the ground and drives it with such violence as to fill the mouth and eyes. Thus one is halted because one cannot see. Now when the men of Cyrene realized that they were somewhat belated and feared punishment for their failure when they returned, they accused the Carthaginians of having left home ahead of time and refused to abide by the agreement; in fact they were willing to do anything rather than go home defeated. But when the Carthaginians demanded other terms, provided they were fair, the Greeks gave them the choice, either of being buried alive in the place which they claimed as the boundary of their country, or of allowing the Greeks on the same condition to advance as far as they wished. The Philaeni accepted the terms and gave up their lives for their country; so they were buried alive. The Carthaginians consecrated altars on that spot to the Philaeni brothers, and other honours were established for them at home. I now return to my subject."

Some scholars speculate that this story may have inspired the famous legend of the combat between the Roman Horatii and the Alban Curiatii triplet brothers (Titus Livius, Ab Vrbe Condita, Liber I, Ch. XXIV-XXVI).

Edited by ASCLEPIADES