UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Alexander , another final , final cut

Pertinax

Oliver Stone has announced another attempt at a re-edited Alexander.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alexander-Revisite...5149&sr=8-1

has this actually appeared in the States? Does it contain less ham than the original product?

This "new" version is said to "emphasise further the relationship between Alexander and Hephaistion" ..."oh Gods no!" I hear you wail already, it was turgidly dull first time round.Perhaps Jolie's performance will be improved, from the emotional range of a plank to just embarrassingly dim?

Oliver Stone has announced another attempt at a re-edited Alexander.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alexander-Revisite...5149&sr=8-1

has this actually appeared in the States? Does it contain less ham than the original product?

This "new" version is said to "emphasise further the relationship between Alexander and Hephaistion" ..."oh Gods no!" I hear you wail already, it was turgidly dull first time round.Perhaps Jolie's performance will be improved, from the emotional range of a plank to just embarrassingly dim?

Oh - in the name of Neptune's Nuts - why??????? Wasn't it bad enough first time round?

Although I take issue with you a little here, Pertinax! If they did give us the true bloody relationship between Alex and his Heffy - at least it would make the damned thing interesting! As for the gorgeous Angie - I'm afraid she can do no wrong for me. Full-blooded man-lover as I am....... Grrrrhhhh. Just put the woman on a screen....

On a serious note - I have read your comments on Angie's oaken emotional depth in other threads, and I would disagree in the main, as I have seen every single thing she has done and in some works she has shown a fair amount of emotion (especially earlier work before she was deemed 'movie star' material). However, in terms of the present film - I really do believe (and you can laugh if you wish) that she was the only one in this catastrophe who even attempted to show some remote connection to the historical character she was supposed to be playing. Olympias was cold and ruthless; enigmatic and mysterious - and - hey! she was a 'foreigner' among all those lovely Irish lads. This alone lent her some gravitas! I don't know if you have read Renault's Alexandriad on which Oliver Stone purported to base the film, but the written Olympias has much in common with the sultry Jolie (except, of course, she should have red hair!)

But even if we disagree on this, I think we can agree that a remake would be foolish in the extreme! May the gods forgive me - I would rather see a remake of 'Caligula'.

ETA: For 'remake' read: 're-edit'.

Edited by The Augusta

Actually , I was thinking that any film in which Brian Blessed's performance seems reasonably stable has got serious problems. How come all Macedonians are Irish anyway?

I never actually saw it. It was one of those films where the common viewer was more interested in the leading star's purportedly large sex organ than in any historical validity to the film. Everything I heard about it turned me off. As I recall it didn't last long in the theaters.

Actually , I was thinking that any film in which Brian Blessed's performance seems reasonably stable has got serious problems

Including his voicing of "Boss Nass" in Star Wars I.

"

• 2 weeks later...

Another cut? Alexander seems to be turning into a new Blade Runner - they both have a dozen film versions. Coming in the Summer of 2057, Alexander: The Super King Sized Astronomical Cut with knobs on.

This version will contain:

* An extended love scene between Alexander and Roxane (approx 45 mins).

* All dialouge dolby enhanced...Irish accents removed and replaced with Welsh.

* A slightly more coherent version of the Battle of Gaugamela.

* Colin Farrell's wig has been digitally removed and replaced with grapes.

* A new combat scene where Alexander must fight off Cassander's super ninja troop. (approx 20 mins)

* A CGI version of Ptolemy (Anthony Hopkins) as Talos, the Bronze statue from Jason and the Argonauts.

* An extended love scene between Alexander and Hephaistion (approx 45 mins).

* Elephants removed from the Battle of Hydaspes and replaced with AT-ATs.

* Alternate ending where Alexander becomes the Star Child.

Special Features:

The Alexander Dilemma: Documentary follows Oliver Stone as he attempts to find the Holy Grail i.e - an acceptable version of Alexander. It shows how the film evolved through time, from the original cut in 2004, through to the 2030 version (memorable for several scenes from Pulp Fiction, The Shining and Holby City that had been spliced onto the original cut) on to the making of the 2057 Version.

5,000 TV spots and 28 New Trailers.

A punishing 12 hour commentary with a drunk Stone and a distressed Lane Fox.

Deleted Scenes: 10 hours worth of fooftage that made it to the cutting room floor...curiously most of them are from Ben-Hur (the 2003 animated version).

Press interviews with Oliver Stone. Contains the infamous interview with Olaf Hendriksson where Stone ordered box loads of unsold Alexander DVDs to be dropped at the feet of Mr. Hendriksson, before he (Stone) walked off in silence.