UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire"

frankq

I just caught (by chance) the first episode of "Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire". I was very impressed. Because of its semi-documentary style, it was able to cut out all the dramatic flesh that was in ROME, and get right down to the point. Sure it tunnels a bit, but it was well done. I like much better the actor they used for Pompey. Though they had a better Cato age wise, I found him too wimpy. Cato as I see him was a pitbull scrapper, far more resolved. Instead they passed all this onto what's his name who played Cato in Rome and now portrays Marecellus.

Caesar was interesting. Those who are not fans of the man will probably like the maniacal and scheming slant.

But nicest of all was giving Labienus some of the attention he deserved.

Does the show continue to be as good as the first episode?

This sounds familiar. I *think* I may have seen it last year. Was there an episode about Tiberius Gracchus?

Yes. I believe it was Gracchi, Caesar, Nero, Flavians, Constantine and Honorius.

Only for some bizarre reason they weren't in that order.

Ah, now I've got it ... I just looked it up at IMDB. This was the UK name for it. It was repackaged in the US as "Battle for Rome."

Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire

Battle for Rome

• 3 years later...

I love this series, which as a Roman history non-expert, I think looks quite bloody and authentic. However, I found two comments curious;

In the Julius Caesar episode;-

"The Rubicon ... even today it is so small that no-one really knows where it is"

And in the Nero episode;

(On Nero becoming an actor) "It would today be like Queen Elizabeth II becoming a pole dancer"

Also, the Caesar episode made mention of at least two revolts against caesar's authority? One in Gaul and one in Spain- is this right?

Altogether, Caesar dealt with a few Roman army rebellions- wasn't the first one the 'revolt' at the Northern French shores before invading Brittania, 55bc?

Edited by Hus

I"The Rubicon ... even today it is so small that no-one really knows where it is"

I watched this early on in my Roman studies, and took it at face value. A little further research leads me to believe that the actual truth is more to do with the Rubicon being a river that has often changed its course quite significantly through history, and the actual course at the time of the crossing by Ceasar's Legions isn't known.